Start a new topic

New Card Bonus Option

My Risk friends and I are growing more and more dissatisfied with the two Card Bonus options -- Fixed and Progressive. Fixed card bonus is great for slowly methodical and strategic building, but often times this leads to games that can last hours or end in a 3 way stalemate in which the winner is just the one who does not attack or goes idle or gets taken over by a bot. Not fun. Progressive card bonus is good because it encourages strategic timing, positioning and it favors engaged/active players. However nearly all games are decided or tilted in a major way by the 6-7th card bonus (15-20 troops). This makes sense as thats approximately enough additional troops needed to overtake most armies. This makes the game go by very quickly and gives players with matching territory cards during this phase a huge advantage as they can defeat others and accumulate many territory cards. Would like to propose a Card Bonus Option thats somewhere in between Fixed and Progressive thats more incremental. This option could allow users can choose their increments between 1 or 2. For example: Increment of One - 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13... Increment of Two - 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20... These structures would encourage a strategic game and would gradually reward the players that take more risk throughout the game. This would decrease the luck in matching your territory cards.

1 person likes this idea
1 Comment

I agree. Too much luck with many games that are decided by who gets 10 armies on first 3 cards. Players who have to wait for 5 cards then get 4 armies are at huge disadvantage with nothing to do but bad luck. I suggest a straight card trade in for 3 cards, more for 4, and more again for 5. The player can strategize when to cash in as opposed to dumb luck deciding who takes early lead and has huge advantage This would be an easy update/ third card trade in option that would greatly enhance the skill options of the game.
Login or Signup to post a comment