Start a new topic
Implemented

New Dice Algorithm / True dice rolls

Game does not use true dice roll probabilities. Many, many times I've had 97-99% chance to win and dont.

HOW TO VOTE FOR THIS FEATURE? Tap the 'Do you like this idea?' below

91 people like this idea

I've seen people complain about the blitz statistics for years with this game. Nothing bothers me more than their balanced blitz option since true random is the only real random. But they created balanced blitz for the people who complain about wild outcomes being possible.

The only time I have ever seen a flaw with blitz was a very long time ago where every blitz resulted in the attacker losing exactly 1 troop when going up against a territory with exactly 1 army. This was an obvious defect in the code and it was very short lived since I reported it. I was able to reproduce the problem at will so it was an obvious issue.

I started playing SMG Risk Global Domination a few weeks ago. I saw "balanced" dice rolls and wondered why they would have this option. This thread explains a lot. A professional game should have only true dice rolls and not this silly balanced.

I kept looking for a good explanation for balanced dice rolls (which should be called "skewed", or "flawed"). With balanced a 5 vs 1 attack wins 100% (say what!?); with true it wins 97% (as it does in real life).

When you know the difference between balanced and true you have an advantage over your opponents. A good explanation can be found at https://risk-global-domination.fandom.com/wiki/Risk in the section "Dice, Blitz and Slow Roll".

By the way, I first played Risk in 1967 with those nice wooden cubicle armies and sometimes we played with the original French rules.

Risk employees will always maintain that the dice do NOT favor anyone. They are stubborn about this.  The reality as experienced is quite different. They are not running an honest game. Example 15v4 the 15 gets wiped out and the 4 stands. They will not listen to experience. It is pointless to try and work with them.

1 person likes this

Steve Clements honestly it seems that you haven't played these particular versions of digital Game of Risk. Because those are of such that you could truly complain about dice rolling. Risk (1996 video game) - Wikipedia Risk II - Wikipedia Risk: The Game of Global Domination | Pippin @World & Atmark Wiki | Fandom  Forum Administrators please see about having it being  open to play those versions of digital game of risk than you might hopefully shut up the complainers. 

There really isn't any issue with the dice. People just whine about not getting exactly the average roll every time. The real issue is cheaters. People using multiple accounts is what ruined this game for me. I think the ranked matches need to be revamped. Games should be assigned at random only, and preferably only ever with players that have similar ranks (depending on availability) and standardize the ranked games by having it always be the same type of game. Ranked does make people care and that's what makes it worth playing but then they try to cheat (which ruins the game for everyone, including the cheaters) and then the game becomes unplayable.

This thread needs to be retired. This was before they came up with balanced blitz. True random Iis still garbage so I never play it.

game still fill of dual accounts and dice cheats

Because I seem to remember on the computer version of one of those two versions of games I had like hundred to several hundred troop units on a single territory and with in a single throw of the die it went from that amount to anywhere between 1 to a 2 dozen Risk Troop Units. Now that is true flawed probabilities due to the point of computer cheating.

Yes, balanced blitz solved all of the complaining about "unfair" roles by making the dice less realistic. There really shouldn't be complaining about dice because of this, even though the game is now less interesting if it's used. I always use true random. Skilled players understand that the dice don't always fall exactly on the odds.

I find balanced blitz more like true random anyway. It definitely glitches unless I'm missing something. I'm happy to be called stupid but how can the attached happen in balanced blitz?

Even with balanced blitz, there is still a chance of having terrible rolls. The algorithm isn't designed to completely avoid unusual results. But it does skew more against them.
@Briand - So where’s the skill if this can happen? I get it but it’s extremely frustrating to be in a winning position and then lose due to this. That’s not a game.

Well, it's dice. You have skill and then there's a luck factor to it also. What do you want "Risk" to be? Precise average odds for every single attack? What's the point in a game like that there everything is predictable? The whole point is that in general, skill is going to prevail but there is risk involved and sometimes you NEED to take a risk to win. If there's no dice, there's no chance for anyone who got beaten up at the start.

The game cheats. Example…opponent (their bot) has 10 in west Africa. Attacking my Brazil with 9. Wipes me out then take over the entire continent of  South America. Plus has 6 left over after occupying all country’s. Developers do not care if you’re upset. They’ve known this for a long time. Stubborn crooked people. 

--Tommy

Login or Signup to post a comment