Start a new topic

Cheating vs Exploit

You should be careful accusing someone of cheating.

-Two players ganging up on you is NOT CHEATING!

- One player playing two accounts is NOT CHEATING!

- BOTS tough one, but still saying the BOT has no actual cheats but just another account to try and give the player an edge. Not much dif. then having a second account. Still saying this is NOT CHEATING!

I calls these exploiting a games feature, and impossible to stop.

I have hundreds of games logged in Risk, and have not seen one person actual cheat, as in roll sixes every roll, control the game so no one can move but only them, GOD mode where you can't hurt them, etc. NOT ONCE!

I do see many players trying to get an advantage with a second account, but honestly most of them suck and need two accounts.

I see many posts about cheating, but I challenge any of you, prove they actual have cheats vs just playing a second player who also is not cheating rather then playing dirty.

1 person has this question

Over thinking this, but...

I suspect many don't like playing with newbies as they suspect their 2nd accounts, etc.

With everyone random in the game, their are no more 2nd accounts, and newbies are simply new to the game or someone starting over. Neither I have an issue with.

Thoughts?

It seems pretty obvious to me that SMG is not addressing cheating, either lack of resources or they don’t have a good strategy, or other priorities etc. It’s just not happening. Since it’s not “their” game, it’s Hasbro, I suspect they’re not getting paid on an “upside”, it might even be fixed work for hire contract, maybe some minor support contract. The typical multiplayer game that I find will have the “tell” of dual accounts - two player names one rank apart that for some reason end up co-ordinating. I’ve reported umpteen times, never gotten feedback, I assume it’s ignored. I’ve also tested myself to see how easy it is to cheat egregiously, and it’s trivial. Just pay for the game and log in on multiple devices but set up different player names on each. I’m not seeing that I’m getting penalized. And that kind of cheating should be trivial for them to detect since it’s the same logged-in account playing multiple player names - unless there’s something in iOS app restrictions that disallow them “tagging” properly? Anyway. You can see how totally broken multiplayer is by the very small number of games that are available at any given time. So I think everybody can save their breath and stop complaining, it won’t do much good.

1 person likes this

I would assume it's a very small team of programmers without much time to handle the case by case approach on cheating that they are doing. They do not want to risk banning anyone who isn't cheating. But they certainly have the ability to know if you cheat by using the same google account. The ultimate way to test it would be to play a game with your 2 cheating accounts then have a friend with a separate account be in the game and report you. Without the report, they won't do anything. And if the other players didn't bother reporting, that's why you're getting away with it.They really do take the conservative approach and with over half a million players, people hitting the cheating button can really, really bog them down with work to do.

I thought maybe it was just me that was suspicious of cheating in SMG RIsk.. 

I just played a Master, he created the game and there were also 2 expert bots in the game.  I didn't even notice that until the game had actually started. 

After the other 3 players were eliminated It was just me, the Master and an Expert bot left and the bot kept going after me while leaving the other guy alone even when it easily could have ran through his areas with 1 troop and there was no tactical reason to attack me.  I mean the other player was building up massive amounts of troops right next to the bot and the bot kept putting troops near me when I had much smaller numbers of troops.  That makes zero sense from a tactical standpoint.  Is the AI just that godawful?

I've also seen many times where a player will attack my troops when there is another player with lower troop counts right next to him.  This is especially suspicious at the beginning of the game when there is no reason to attack higher numbers of troop and everyone is on equal footing so there's probably no alliances made yet.

Online Risk is really frustrating because you can't communicate with the other players.  It's hard to tell sometimes if it's just an incredibly stupid person or if it's really obvious cheating by using a second account.

And to the guy at the beginning of the thread who said using two accounts wasn't cheating.......what are you talking about?  Of course it's cheating.  If someone controls two players in a game they have twice as many troops and options as everyone else.

I really don't know why anyone would do that....what's the fun in cheating at a game?  But on the other hand like I said in my earlier post I have seen examples where a player was player so badly that they either were totally clueless about how to play Risk or it was someone's sock account attacking players to benefit themselves.

I just played a game where the green player.....on his first turn.....attacked everyone he could but the red.  He kept attacking until he had no troops left.  On his first turn. 

Very frustrating.  I guess there's really no way you can prevent multiple accounts but it's frustrating losing a game based on someone controlling two players.

Philippe Comtois has clearly hacked the game. He attacked time after time with an army of 47 against some 1’s and 2’s. But after each win, 0 troops were put into the conquered territories. After 6 or 7 times of this happening and at the conclusion of his turn, every conquered territory then had 47 troops put in it. This changed his total troops from 50 something to over 400 in one turn.

Are you insane?  How is one player using 2 accounts not cheating?  It's exactly cheating.

Do you know what the word "cheating" means?

Using 2 accounts gives you an unfair advantage over people NOT CHEATING.

Not worth repeating,,,

Jason,

What game example would demonstrate an EXPLOIT ?

You're right, what you said isn't worth repeating. I don't know or care what an example of "exploiting" the game would be. I could not care less.

What I know is that one person using two accounts pretending to be two different people is cheating.  In what universe is having a 2 to 1 advantage by pretending to be 2 different people not cheating?  How is that not cheating?  If one player was just given 2 times as many troops and two times as many turns two times as many cards as everyone else do you think that wouldn't be cheating either?  Because that's what playing with two accounts is. 

You seem to think if it's possible that means it's not cheating which is absurd.

If you need 2 accounts to win or if winning a dumb game means that much to you that's just sad.

Are you one of the cheaters using 2 accounts Matt?  Is that why you're so defensive about it?

Sure...

To me, the dif. between a cheat and an exploit, is one is fixable.

So ya I praise the game developers, although a lot of team playing (request team mode pls), but can't say I see any real cheats I'm expecting them to fix. No GOD mode, or someone rolling ALL SIXES, or freezes the game for everyone but themselves. I'm only using a lesser word to describe two players allying to win. "Exploiting the game, but still rolling same dice, same rules, etc as everyone else"

Your welcome to narrow your vocab to one word for everything, and call everything a cheat. But, I promise you your complaints will go unheard by the developers cause your only crying wolf, and not pointing out any actual fixable problem.

"Narrow my vocab"?  You mean by using words correctly and calling cheating "cheating"?  Nobody cares if you don't understand what the word cheating means.  Using more than one account is cheating.  It's not even debatable.  I don't care what your personal definition of "cheating" is, you don't get to just make up new meaning for words lol.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it isn't cheating.  PEDs are used all the time in sports....still cheating, not an "exploit".

Like I asked, are you one of the cheaters using 2 accounts? 

Using 2 accounts is cheating.  It's gives an unfair advantage.  2 accounts gives a player 2 times as many men....2 times as many rolls.....2 times as many cards......they can use one account to protect the other, etc.  When you have 20 men and the other guy has 40......how is that not cheating? 

It's against the rules to use more than one account, right?

http://smgstudio.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/11000017727

Fair Play Rules

To clear up any confusion in the community on what constitutes cheating we have the following Fair Play Rules..

1. Hacking the game, in any way, is cheating.

2. Using multiple accounts in the same game to gain an advantage is cheating.

3. Playing with someone you know and working together to gain advantage is cheating.

Pay special attention to number 2 there, that's from SMG itself.

So go tell someone else your personal definition of cheating because it doesn't change reality and the reality is this game has a problem with cheaters and they're ruining it.

With the spectate feature all you have do is watch the game until the end and you can see if someone is a cheater and I see it all the time. 

Well good luck screaming at the developers to make all players play fairly, good luck with that!

I posted this a long time ago when everyone was blaming the developers to fix it.. I was making the claim there is not a cheat being used for them to go fix. Only players exploiting the game, and not playing fairly.

You can call me a cheater if you like Jason, if it makes you feel better. You seem shallow enough to do just that. Anyone who has a dif. opinion then you must be cheating, I get it.

If you use a flaw that's not publicly known to gain an advantage in a game, you're cheating.  If you use multiple accounts, you;re cheating.

Why do you insist on defending this behaviour?

Perspective...

You scream cheaters, everyone a cheater, cheater - cheater - cheater...

I just play, don't really care if you have a teammate, I like the challenge, and can beat both of you.

To me, as long as you are not using a cheat to hack the game, and are rolling same dice as me (win some/lose some), fare game - bring it on! I've asked for team (co-op) mode several times, would like to play team mode, think that would be fun.

What not fun to me is all you whiners (Jason) complaining about how you suck and it's everyone else's fault. Face it, you just have no game!