Start a new topic

Cheating vs Exploit

You should be careful accusing someone of cheating.

-Two players ganging up on you is NOT CHEATING!

- One player playing two accounts is NOT CHEATING!

- BOTS tough one, but still saying the BOT has no actual cheats but just another account to try and give the player an edge. Not much dif. then having a second account. Still saying this is NOT CHEATING!

I calls these exploiting a games feature, and impossible to stop.

I have hundreds of games logged in Risk, and have not seen one person actual cheat, as in roll sixes every roll, control the game so no one can move but only them, GOD mode where you can't hurt them, etc. NOT ONCE!

I do see many players trying to get an advantage with a second account, but honestly most of them suck and need two accounts.

I see many posts about cheating, but I challenge any of you, prove they actual have cheats vs just playing a second player who also is not cheating rather then playing dirty.

1 person has this question

People don't like hatters?  What do you have against hats?

Do you find a lot of people like cheaters? 

Jason,

Care to play a game?

You, Me, Four Exports computers, no excuses about cheating?

Nah Matt.  You're a cheater.

And spelling "misdemeanor" as "mistermeaner" isn't a typo lol. 

You don't seem to know what words mean.

Sizing you up, figures... knew you wouldn't take a direct challenge,

You claim I cheat, I claim you suck at Risk!

Let me know when you want to prove you don't suck.

How about you play me and let me use 2 accounts like you do?

OK,

Me - You - You2 - Computer - Computer - Computer

Classic Map

Auto assign

Progressive Cards

60 seconds

Export level computers

no fog

blizzard either way

no alley

Sound good ?

Matt.....you're a cheater.  I don't want to play with you.  Sorry.  Learn to pick up on sarcasm.

FYI Risk doesn't have alleys.  Or did you mean "allies"?

1 person likes this

Allies, whatever

I turn it off so others can't try an exploit a game feature by trying to invite me to ally just as I'm taking them out. Then followup with trying to prompt me to attack another player, hoping to block my screen.

So yes, No Allies, 

Yes, it is an option in the game, when your hosting/creating the game.

I just played a game where I had no chance.  There was one of the other three players who did NOTHING in the game but attack me   All of this was unprovoked.   He turtled all his troops and would then spend each term simply doing manual attacks to reduce my troop count.  He never attacked the stronger players who were the more obvious threats.

This was clear and obvious collusion, and a complete waste of my time.  Anyone who thinks this is okay is an equally large piece of shit.

Yeah, I played a game yesterday where a Master had at least 2 accounts.  He used his Master account to sit back and collect cards while he used another account to attack and weaken other players.  All I could do was flash the blank face every time his 2nd account attacked someone else instead of him and he just flashed the smiley face at me.

That's the most infuriating thing, there's nothing you can do when these guys cheat.  All you can do is sit there and take it or quit.

He pretended his 2nd account was a separate player until the first couple of players were eliminated then he started attacking to get cards by using his Master account which had just sat back until this point and his 2nd account in coordinated attacks.

Nothing you can do in that situation. 

Like I keep saying I don't get why anyone cares enough about Risk to cheat like that.  What kind of loser needs two accounts to win at Risk?

Yes there is something you can and SHOULD do. Go to their profile and press the "report" button and then select collusion and enter the name of the players that player is colluding with. It takes some time but SMG will look at the account, see they've played multiple games together / have same IP addresses and delete the accounts. Said cheater will probably lose interest in playing anymore or come back and try to be more sneaky about it. But he'll get caught eventually.

I actively report anyone I suspect of cheating. And take great joy when I win a game where 2-3 players were in fact cheating. The one problem with the cheaters is they want to make sure that all of their accounts survive accounts they don't control. and sometimes that gives you the win from such ignorance :)

Regarding Matt L's comments: You're trying to argue that because the game allows you to play with multiple accounts (within the physical rules of the game) that it is not cheating to do so. It is still cheating. The problem is it's impossible to block someone from doing this. They could restrict IPs but someone can use a VPN or a cellular network for one and wifi for another. So I do not accept that it's really an "exploit" at all. Unless you want to argue that on the board game, which does not physically prevent you from playing multiple players in the game and then using them to eliminate the other guy is not cheating but is an exploit? The only problem there is the other guy can see what you're doing and simply choose not to play. So I guess it's not so much cheating. But in the case of online, you're hiding the fact that you have control of the many accounts. So yeah, that's cheating. Declare what you're doing before someone joins or you're a cheater. Or just follow SMG's rules which states it's cheating to use more than 1 account :)

Briand, even if someone "declares" they're using more than one account they're a cheater.  It's against the rules and the only reason to do it is OBVIOUSLY to get a huge advantage.

For one there is no way to declare it before the game....for two nobody is going to play someone they know is using 2 accounts.  It's almost impossible to beat someone with twice as many rolls, men, turns, etc. 

There is a way to stop it, SMG needs to actually respond to cheating claims.  If one person is accused over and over and that person is using multiple accounts from the same IP address ban them.  That will cut down on a lot of it.

There are other ways, only allowing players to play together a limited time.  Allow other players to POINT OUT when someone is cheating etc.

The way it is now someone can be obviously cheating and there's nothing you can do about it.  I've seen so many experts, masters and grandmasters cheat I've gotten to the point where I just assume they're cheating.  If I see fishy behavior I immediately go after the highest ranked player even if it kills me.

I'm not going to sit back and let someone who is cheating pick everyone off one by one.

There are so many ways to stop the cheating:

- Random assignment to games

- Discarding the "Play with Friends" feature

- Identifying to other players when two screenames have played together in the past or are "friends"

SMG cant be bothered.  Every cheating account is £££ to them.