Start a new topic

Cheating vs Exploit

You should be careful accusing someone of cheating.

-Two players ganging up on you is NOT CHEATING!

- One player playing two accounts is NOT CHEATING!

- BOTS tough one, but still saying the BOT has no actual cheats but just another account to try and give the player an edge. Not much dif. then having a second account. Still saying this is NOT CHEATING!

I calls these exploiting a games feature, and impossible to stop.

I have hundreds of games logged in Risk, and have not seen one person actual cheat, as in roll sixes every roll, control the game so no one can move but only them, GOD mode where you can't hurt them, etc. NOT ONCE!

I do see many players trying to get an advantage with a second account, but honestly most of them suck and need two accounts.

I see many posts about cheating, but I challenge any of you, prove they actual have cheats vs just playing a second player who also is not cheating rather then playing dirty.

1 person has this question

Using two accounts to boost one of them is cheating. How about getting 200 troops in the first round? Cheating

9 people like this

200 troops the first round is definitely cheating! If you have an ability that no one else does, i call it cheating, If you have the same abilities as others, you can play clean or dirty, but what or where is the cheat? I still call two account to boost another cheap, kinda pathetic, but not cheating. Still rolls the same dice, receives same card turn in amount, no extra troops, no free cards...

2 people like this
Using two or more accounts in the same game is absolutely cheating. It gives the player using them 100% more armies than they are supposed to have at the beginning of the game for each extra account. Also SMG takes away ranking points for playing with multiple accounts in one game so they definitely consider it cheating.

6 people like this
To say nothing of getting more men than their supposed to each turn and one card for each account.
*They're

All good points, but my point I'm really trying to make is this:

- Cheating, in my opinion, is fixable by a software update, or an anti cheat program, etc.

- Exploiting, in my opinion, is something the developers can't really fix. Even one guy, two accounts - Have one on WiFi, one on cell towers, now their IP's are different, so once again developers can't stop that, so I call this an exploit.

1 person likes this
Using two accounts to win is cheating. Just because the developers will struggle to resolve it, does not mean it's not cheating.

6 people like this
So you don't think it's a bit dodgy when two computer controlled AI gang up on you... Attacking your strongest area Head on to take your continent off you and doing everything to put you into a corner.... Whilst simultaneously leaving an "expert" who has left wide open gaps that The AI just so happens not to attack! According to SMG the only hack they have found is people who give themselves more troops.... Despite the very compelling evidence and explanation I sent them they determine that my location is the cause of the AI giving a significant advantage to another player. Call it what you want mate but giving yourself an advantage over others in a game is cheating. I get the impression that SMG really don't give a dumb about cheats... I'm bloody stupid and even I have thought of a way the game has been hacked that they haven't.. This game is majorly flawed and I'm getting fed up of getting myself into a strong position for this game to screw me over one way or another... I have had about 15 wins go walk abouts and dissappear....beating so called "experts" and "masters" but don't worry the only hack that has happened in this game IS THE STUPIDEST AND MOST OBVIOUS HACK TO SPOT AND NO HACKER IN THE WORLD COULD THINK OF ANYTHING SMARTER... sorry for the rant.... SMG have kinda annoyed me haha

1 person likes this
Matt L, I get what you're saying and I agree with your assessment. Cheating is manipulating gameplay to where the game does not treat you the same as it treats the other players. Cheating is operating outside the boundaries of normal gameplay. Using two accounts or playing with a friend whom you are always allied with is indeed an unfair advantage, but it is not operating outside the boundaries of normal gameplay. It's cheaper and dirty, but not cheating.
Pallison1375, I believe the bots are set to break the oppenent they find the "strongest" near them. Such as taking a continent before roll 3, or having large armies when others have small armies. Also they react like a damaging novice or desperate player. Attacking hard against those that attacked them most recently. I also do not discount the possibility of some tampering. I played a game earlier where the bot never attacked one player. It didn't bother me at the time.

Thanks Tom! (Glad someone understood what I was trying to say)

Been playing this game long time now, and still haven't seen one example of cheating, but read the suggestions and the word cheating is used probably more then any other word.

If users could just expand their vocabulary, say try using "Exploiting", then realize your just venting, and wasting the developers time as they can't fix these complaints. 

- There built in AI is not ideal, but I only wish I could prevent it as host or even turn it off for myself, then I'm good with that. (Still not cheating)

- I have seen glitches in the game where players got disconnected, and somehow I was controlling their player, was very odd but it's been several releases ago. Don't think I got rank from that, I'm ranked like 2.2 million atm. I just play for fun. (Still not cheating)

I really only made this post to try and get people to think before they posted, did the player actually cheat. Can the developers actually do anything about what you've seen in-game.

Lastly, stop complaining if you have no suggestions attached to it. Otherwise your just doing that, COMPLAINING! 

ATT. MATT L ANDRE THE REST OF YOU EXPLOITERS OUT THERE! If anyone would care to look up the definition of "Cheater" and "Exploiter" you will find, that it is pretty close. But you ARE grinding points on others behalf. Indeed everyone else could use two or accounts. And everyone else could find another way to chea-, I mean exploit of course. BUT THEY DON'T! To Cheat: "[...] Act in a dishonest way [...]" http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cheating To Exploit (2): "[...] To use selfishly for one's own ends [...]" http://www.dictionary.com/browse/exploit (And yes, - I AM aware of the OTHER definitions in the links :D)

1 person likes this
One person using 2 accounts with the sole purpose of advancing one of the accounts is not right no matter what you want to call it.  Two different players who like to play together and want to team up for mutual benefit is more of a grey area, IMO.  It's definitely an advantage, but it depends on how they choose to use that advantage.

2 people like this

Daniel, I have played with a friend on a few occasions. In the beginning we usually (but not always) try to be allies and gang up on people. But more often than not that falls apart quickly as one of us gets jealous (and cautious) of the other person's advancement compared to our own. In fact, while we may start the game as natural allies, we usually end up stabbing each other in the back fairly quickly. 

Is it fair? I believe you are right in saying it is a grey area. We each have our own accounts and we're not trying to advance one over the other. We can actually communicate, whether by phone or in person, which is a HUGE advantage. This is the #1 reason why I think an in-game chat would be fantastic. The problem is the game is already so laggy and slow that adding a chat would likely make it much worse. But I digress. I do feel friends playing together is an [perhaps unfair] advantage, but neither cheating nor an exploitation.

I think using two accounts to benefit one is the most egregious of the exploitations. While I may play with a friend from time to time, I do not use multiple accounts for myself. That takes away all the fun from winning. As with Matt I also only play for fun. Ranking used to matter to me for like a minute, until I realized that my life isn't affected by my Risk ranking lol.