Start a new topic

Help with game rank mechanics

Hello,

I've been wanting to know in ranked, if everyone leaves and becomes bots, do you have to wipe out all the bots to get ranking score?

I'd like to know because it's very boring wiping out all the bots when the players have all left.

"Except people don't know that's how it works, so nobody exploits it in that manner - there are a few people who will leave and then rejoin later so they are ignored until they can sweep in and win, which is known as join-rejoin strategies (may become against Fair Play Rules soon)"

You didn't address the question: why aren't the beginner ranked players all grandmasters?

If the bot's score as you said, we would see beginner-grandmasters.

What are you talking about?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Beginners can't also be grandmasters, you can only be one rank at a time.

Also another question.

If there's other players that leave and there are a few remaining.

If you leave after they have become bots, do you still get score?

Often, everyone has left because 1 player has become dominant, seems like a waste of time sticking around since they are invincible but, it might be worth it for score.

Psy, As I understand it, if players leave and become bots that is supposed to count as a win for the remaining human player(s) regardless of whether they stay to defeat the bots or not. I.e. if all players leave and just you remain against bots, you should be able to then quit and take all the ranking points as the winner. However, in my experience nothing of the sort actually happens. If other players leave and you stay but then lose to the bots or quit yourself you will lose ranking points. Only if you stay and defeat all the bots do you gain the winner’s ranking points. There have been a number of times I’ve been the last human standing but not been able to beat the last dominant bot and then lost ranking position. So, my advice would be to beat all the bots if you want your ranking points. Should be easy most of the time as the AI is terrible!

"in capital conquest.  Let's say there's 3 players remaining, and one player captures all capitals. Which of the two remaining players gets the points for 2nd? (Maybe the points are split here?)"

Player with the highest number of total troops.

"So, if I leave a game of multiple human players first, but then my replacement AI goes on to win the game, I take all the ranking points? Despite the fact that I left first?"

Yes.

"
then the correct strategy will be to always quit and turn into a bot as soon as you are losing, in order to maximize points because you will not be a target until last, thus securing 2nd."

Yeah, exactly.

"
To be honest, I'd be very surprised if the developers are giving the highest points to bots.

It would mean all the amateur players would be Grandmaster but they are not, so I highly doubt that's how the points/rankings mechanics work."

Except people don't know that's how it works, so nobody exploits it in that manner - there are a few people who will leave and then rejoin later so they are ignored until they can sweep in and win, which is known as join-rejoin strategies (may become against Fair Play Rules soon)

Thanks for the clarification Eric. I’m very surprised to learn that is how ranking points are awarded. Personally I don’t think that is a fair way to do it; in my view if you quit you lose. I used to see the leave/rejoin tactic (which I regard as cheating) a lot but I’ve not seen it done for a long while now, so I’d assumed the developers had fixed it. I guess that’s not the case, so I hope it is added to the List of Fair Play Rules soon.

I hope so too! Stalling just finally got added to the official list so that should be next.

> in ranked, if everyone leaves and becomes bots, do you have to wipe out all the bots to get ranking score?

It depends. If they didn't press the Ready button and became bots that way, no. If they left after the game started, yes.

> If you leave after they have become bots, do you still get score?

You get the place that your AI gets in the game after you leave.

OK thx Asmodius,

I have a further question: in capital conquest.  Let's say there's 3 players remaining, and one player captures all capitals. Which of the two remaining players gets the points for 2nd? (Maybe the points are split here?)

So, if I leave a game of multiple human players first, but then my replacement AI goes on to win the game, I take all the ranking points? Despite the fact that I left first?

"I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Beginners can't also be grandmasters, you can only be one rank at a time."
Exactly, so what you are saying must not be true.

The game itself says that when you leave you will "forfeit" the game.

So any idea of bots winning games is nonsense.

When a player leaves a game, they receive the placement (after a time delay because the game continued) that their bot received. I do not see what this has to do with having two rankings simultaneously.

What doesn't seem right about the bots winning points for players is:

After everyone leaves and we have 4 bots and the winning player and the losing player.

The winning player always ignores the bots and goes straight for the surviving player.

If that is indeed how the points system works: the bots win points, then the correct strategy will be to always quit and turn into a bot as soon as you are losing, in order to maximize points because you will not be a target until last, thus securing 2nd.

To be honest, I'd be very surprised if the developers are giving the highest points to bots.

It would mean all the amateur players would be Grandmaster but they are not, so I highly doubt that's how the points/rankings mechanics work.

Login or Signup to post a comment