Start a new topic

Cheating vs Exploit

You should be careful accusing someone of cheating.

-Two players ganging up on you is NOT CHEATING!

- One player playing two accounts is NOT CHEATING!

- BOTS tough one, but still saying the BOT has no actual cheats but just another account to try and give the player an edge. Not much dif. then having a second account. Still saying this is NOT CHEATING!

I calls these exploiting a games feature, and impossible to stop.

I have hundreds of games logged in Risk, and have not seen one person actual cheat, as in roll sixes every roll, control the game so no one can move but only them, GOD mode where you can't hurt them, etc. NOT ONCE!

I do see many players trying to get an advantage with a second account, but honestly most of them suck and need two accounts.

I see many posts about cheating, but I challenge any of you, prove they actual have cheats vs just playing a second player who also is not cheating rather then playing dirty.

1 person has this question

Cheating or exploiting-really doesn't matter, both are equally terrible and unfair to honest players.
*They're

To Gussie:

" 2. Remember to activate the ignore requests option as the game progress,"

I actually do that the moment the game starts.  I immediately put everyone on ignore (I wish that was an option to choose before the game starts so we don't have to manually do it).

I don't want any alliances.  Personally I wish they would do away with that option altogether.

My typical game scenario...I nearly always host (I got tired of trying to join other games only to be kicked out for no apparent reason...my rank didn't matter whether it was high or low) and I almost always do it with the intent of having 5 players.  4 human players, including myself, and 1 computer player.  I want the computer player for the sake of keeping everyone at least somewhat honest as you can't ally with the AI (assuming someone hasn't found an exploit, of course).

To disagree, wow!

Bob Bobby thinks investigation. (...isn't that little dictatorship, like anyone who doesn't agree should be investigated.)

Aaron Giloff, thinks I'm an dumbass. (...Umm, enough said there, lol)

Not going to go back and read this entire thread, but I believe this all started as I tried to make the distinction between players taking advantage of a built in game feature VS a player downloading a BOT/HACK or physically altering the game code the cheat (Example: only they roll ALL SIXES.)

Better said, and change of subject hopefully:

I love playing Risk, even better love playing with friends.

I don't live in the same state as my buddy anymore, who also loves playing Risk.

SMG, please implement a team, co-op mode vs online team, co-op players.

I, nor my buddy want to cheat, we just want to play together.

Pardon me if I don't make it my goal to kill my buddy 1st just to avoid the accusation of my intent.

Don't forget, YOU CAN'T PROVE MY INTENT!!!

It is possible we just want to play in the same game, and not see each other as enemies but know only one of us can win! SMG doesn't give team mode.

Also, just to cause debate, what is the difference: Example...

Player joins, no buddy and finds an alliance in the game and win together. (Intent to win and not attack non allies)

Next game, same player find a different stranger alliance and goal to win the game together. (Intent to win and not attack non allies)

Rinse & repeat and now players intent every game is to use a built in game feature, ally, to win the game  with an advantage.

- Many players click ally with many players turn one. isn't their intention the same thing, grey area or cheating again. (Give me a break!)

SMG allows alliance, what is it for then if not to ally with another player and not attack each other, but to have the intent to attack other players. Face it, you get pissed when your ally attacks you.

So ya, lets gather a party and find all those with intent to ally and win, investigate them dubass's!

I still roll the same dice that steal most my troops and are not forgiving at all, no BOTS, no hacks, no second accounts, just have a buddy who plays with me sometimes. I play without him just the same, just more fun with friends. Random troop placement BTW. Hope you don't have to stone me for that, forgive me, just trying to play a game and have fun while doing it.

Feel free to disagree, never minded polite discussion.

...now bring on the haters :)

Good ole MistiD-1. I've reported that one on a couple of occasions now. SMG still hasn't banned that account? I'm not surprised.

I had reported Skull Brooks 4 & Usher Wild 10 at least 3 times in the past before the cheating integration was made into the game. And after a long time of not seeing either, Skull Brooks 4 showed up into one of my games. And to no surprise, Usher Wild 10 followed right in. So I let them stay and started the game then reported immediately. And then let them win the game through the usual collusion you'd always expect from those favorites. HOWEVER. This player didn't get away unscathed. When it came down to a situation where I couldn't run the map on the two and I was screwed, along with another guy, I took the choice to kill half of one of the cheater accounts so the other guy could finish him off, just to kill him. So Usher ended up with the #4 slot. HA! But I got #3 as punishment from the Skull Brooks one. I had to stick my tongue out when I did the suicidal / senseless rush to make sure Usher could be killed. haha.

Will SMG actually act on it this time? We'll see, maybe. If i see those accounts again I'm actually going to be very pissed because I wrote a special email after that to insist they take care of this. I took a loss just to use their new reporting feature since they no longer accept tickets for cheaters. And apparently they didn't take care of the issue when I put all that time into those tickets. If i see them again, I'm booting them. And will no longer start games with suspected cheaters just to report them.

I had a game the other day where there was 2 pairs of cheaters in the game. I started it knowing I was doomed to come in last if I didn't get lucky, and it was sort of just to report them. I made sure first and then sure enough, each pair as expected was colluding. Funny how I can see that just based on how people join, ranks and names? Anyway, it doesn't matter that much. I only play my trash accounts until the rank matching finally happens / cheaters become rare, if either ever happen.

I would assume it's a very small team of programmers without much time to handle the case by case approach on cheating that they are doing. They do not want to risk banning anyone who isn't cheating. But they certainly have the ability to know if you cheat by using the same google account. The ultimate way to test it would be to play a game with your 2 cheating accounts then have a friend with a separate account be in the game and report you. Without the report, they won't do anything. And if the other players didn't bother reporting, that's why you're getting away with it.They really do take the conservative approach and with over half a million players, people hitting the cheating button can really, really bog them down with work to do.

Are you insane?  How is one player using 2 accounts not cheating?  It's exactly cheating.

Do you know what the word "cheating" means?

Using 2 accounts gives you an unfair advantage over people NOT CHEATING.

Yeah fixed games suck. I won my first one but it took over 2 hours. I basically waited for one of the guys to suicide. You'd think in a fixed game, players would want to be more aggressive to make it difficult for others to collect cards but that just results in everyone ganging up on you.

SMG might want to consider another rule variant. Maximum of 10 armies per territory. I played this once, although it was a progressive game. But it prevents people from just stacking armies in one area or overly defending a continent in one spot. I found it fun because it forced aggression or allowed it, if you want to see it that way.

Yeah, I don't like progressive games all that much because so much of the game is left to chance and if a person gets on a roll with cards the game is over quick. 

But in fixed games it's the opposite where games can drag on forever.  I don't know what players who sit and wait in those types of games are thinking.  It's not fun to just there turn after turn after turn while each player attacks the same country to collect cards.  It's not like the status quo is going to change in 5 turns unless someone attacks or makes a move.

Unless one player can get multiple continents and then just builds up armies at a higher rate but I've never seen that happen in a fixed game because the other players will send out attacks if one player gets too big.

Some kind of feature like a game timer should be put in.  Whoever is biggest at the end wins.  Or maybe some kind of penalty for just sitting on a territory. 

I was in a game yesterday where all of us had built up armies with over 100 men.  I ended up just attacking the player who was sitting around the most. 

It seems a lot of Risk games are decided by whoever can last the longest in hours long boring games.

Well....Just played game. Got second to last. After last guy won he kepit trading in armies. Got his troops from 100 to over 400. I just left he wasnt finished. Pretty sad to play a game of stradegy and see cheaters. I guess there will always be cheats. But catch them as you spot them. Please look into this issue. Risk is awesome game

Briand, do you know if the rolling in Risk is just wonky or is it an easy thing for cheaters to manipulate?

I was playing a game yesterday and I lost about 20 men when I was trying to take over areas with only 1-2 men on them.  I lost 3-4 of those battles in a row, even though I usually had a 5-1 advantage. 

Some guy was holed up in Austria with only 5-6 men there was a bot with 2 men in front of the entrance, I had 13 guys and I attacked the bot. I won but was down to 3 men.

I get that stuff like that is possible in the real world....but multiple times in the same game?

So do you know......are the dice algorithms that bad or "loading" the die a common cheat in SMG Risk?

I find it amazing, I post a solid solution, game finder which would eliminate friends from playing together, even prevent multiple accounts from playing each other as every game you would play with other random online players. (Other games do this and it's very successful approach)

Even posted it as a feature add, ZERO votes or comments.

I truly believe most of you just want to vent your lose and how it's someone else's fault!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Again I post,

Create game finder w/ filters, done!

- Example: I choose "Game Finder", choose map, timer, card type, auto, etc. and "Find Game"

- This joins you to the queue, where you see users joining your game.

- One final confirmations before start, anyone failing to click start gets booted, and the rest remain in queue (top level) pending last player and retrying start confirmation.

Every game you would join with other random online players and feel free to ally all you want, part of the game!

Not worth repeating,,,

Jason,

What game example would demonstrate an EXPLOIT ?

I played this game in the 90s when I am just 11years old. It already sucks back then with BFF forming teams to wipe out friends. Available options is not playing with them, play with them for the love of the game, shame them publicly, join them, form your own BFF team. Winning a game is already a huge incentive for me. Winning it fair and square make me happier. Why choose a less happy boost when you have the option to be happier. The game class and rank provide players with more incentives to win games, to earn and maintain a high status. This is where profiteer came in. They don’t have shame but just want to make real money. There is a market out there to sell grandmaster/master status to people who are too lazy to do battles but want the status. This rampant practice is popular in games like Candy Crush. Do away the game class and rank, however will reduce the number of people interested in this game, and it will just slowly die off causing losses to SMG and a platform for all risk players to play the game. My advice to all genuine risk players, play the game like the odds is against you. Don’t worry about the status, it doesn’t give you any edge in the game other than boasting your ego. Your ego will hurt most especially when people ganging up against you to destroy your status. Enjoy one game at a time.