Start a new topic

Cheating vs Exploit

You should be careful accusing someone of cheating.

-Two players ganging up on you is NOT CHEATING!

- One player playing two accounts is NOT CHEATING!

- BOTS tough one, but still saying the BOT has no actual cheats but just another account to try and give the player an edge. Not much dif. then having a second account. Still saying this is NOT CHEATING!

I calls these exploiting a games feature, and impossible to stop.

I have hundreds of games logged in Risk, and have not seen one person actual cheat, as in roll sixes every roll, control the game so no one can move but only them, GOD mode where you can't hurt them, etc. NOT ONCE!

I do see many players trying to get an advantage with a second account, but honestly most of them suck and need two accounts.

I see many posts about cheating, but I challenge any of you, prove they actual have cheats vs just playing a second player who also is not cheating rather then playing dirty.

1 person has this question

Late in the game I try put my biggest army where it can attack any of my remaining opponents. That isn’t always possible though and that’s where it starts to get tricky. I recently won a game where one of my opponents just handed me the win by destroying a 25 army right in the key turns (6-8). I guess he did it since the army was on the border of his continent. A beginner I think. The better ranked guy who lost the big army might have thought it was cheating since it made my win really easy. I don’t remember as much of this in the past and it makes me think idiotic play is spreading up the ranks. And yeah it is funny how many players think any kill will help them. If they turn in from three in the second pass to kill someone they have 4/5 cards and too few troops to survive.

1 person likes this

2 accounts is cheating. Matt L. should be under investigation. 

1 person likes this
“ Renate Ironside 7 “ and “ Dan Abdiel Garcia de Leon “ are cheaters .. don’t play with them .... the game needs to add an option to block them from future games you host at least ... common guys it’s not that hard

1 person likes this

Steven Conway,

My initial post wasn't to define the exact definition of cheating, your taking it out of context a bit.

My goal was to voice the difference or degree of cheating. To point out someone hacking the game and altering code to roll sixes ever roll and win 100% of every game they play. Cheating, and detrimental to the game! (Example...)

- On the other hand, you have two players who don't know each other, ally in the game, and have a motive to win the game together with an advantage from allying. Not cheating, I get it! Built in game feature.

- Same player(s), plays another game and every game with intention to ally with another player they don't know, but sole purpose (intention) to gain an advantage in every game to win using ally. Cheating, or just using a game built in feature, exploiting that feature.

- Same player plays EXACT same behavior, but actually know the other player. Intention is exact same, should we ban both examples? If yes, why have ally in the game ?

Per rules, two players can know each other and play in the same game as long as their intention is to win the game as a solo player, easy enough!

- Do I now need to attack my friend EVERY turn to prove I hate him and want to cream him off the map like I have a grudge?

...simply so you don't call me a cheater ?

Or can I not hate him so much, and attack others.

How often do you expect me to attack him? 

When do you start calling me a cheater, read the forums, matter of time ?

- Most posts I read are that dreaded "I suck, so you must be cheating", cheat!  It's wide spread.

Be a lot easier if SMG implemented co-op (team) mode, 2vs2's. Give me a place to play, and I wont play with my friend in your game. Cheating or not cheating... Allying! 

Just saying, asking (yes I posted suggestion for this, no votes)

To put this nicely, I THINK you all are crying wolf waaaaaaaaaaay too much, and SMG doesn't have the time to police players allying (babysit), and trying to decide who is and isn't... I see very little proof to what I refer to as REAL CHEATS, and think SMG is doing a good job to prevent this. Read the forums, most of you must disagree on this with the amount of cheater cheater posts. 

Same posts over and over, he's not playing fair... Still referred to players rolls the same dice, and same game code (un-altered) as everyone else. ZERO advantage, other than having a buddy, but we're trying to define does he know him or not to distinguish cheating.

Really ?

Wow long post, do what you want with this. (Not worth proofing, nothing mean or bad meant, pls take it as general friendly discussion - disclaimer)

Matt

1 person likes this

All good points, but my point I'm really trying to make is this:

- Cheating, in my opinion, is fixable by a software update, or an anti cheat program, etc.

- Exploiting, in my opinion, is something the developers can't really fix. Even one guy, two accounts - Have one on WiFi, one on cell towers, now their IP's are different, so once again developers can't stop that, so I call this an exploit.

1 person likes this

Matt L, I definitely cannot speak for SMG and the processes they use, but I own the website MemphisTigers.org and have since 2000.  While I still own the site, I am no longer involved in the running of it, but as the head administrator over there for over a decade...banning people was a task/chore unlike anything else.  The problem is if you ban a user, you can delete the account.  

Well they'll just create a new one.

So then we give then an IP ban.  If they have any technical knowledge at all (and unfortunately, many of them did) even an IP ban super easy to get around by just  utilizing different VPN's.  To combat that, at one point we issued a blanket block for entire IP groups...but that cause a massive issue because a lot of those VPN's used IP addresses from regular groups, so that blanket ban caused accidental banning of accounts that were not trouble makers at all.

Unfortunately, unless some much new and improved technology is involved, it is an overall losing battle.  

However...this game has one thing on their side that we didn't have at MemphisTigers.org...the fact you have to pay for the game beyond the 1 or 2 games you can play for free every few hours.  

The people cheating most definitely paid the $5 fee to play...and banning their accounts would be an effective deterrent, imo, because even if they did have to re-create an account, well Risk is going to have even more money flowing in.  People like this will likely see multiple bannings if they don't change their cheating ways, but Risk will reap the rewards of catching them as well.

1 person likes this
So you don't think it's a bit dodgy when two computer controlled AI gang up on you... Attacking your strongest area Head on to take your continent off you and doing everything to put you into a corner.... Whilst simultaneously leaving an "expert" who has left wide open gaps that The AI just so happens not to attack! According to SMG the only hack they have found is people who give themselves more troops.... Despite the very compelling evidence and explanation I sent them they determine that my location is the cause of the AI giving a significant advantage to another player. Call it what you want mate but giving yourself an advantage over others in a game is cheating. I get the impression that SMG really don't give a dumb about cheats... I'm bloody stupid and even I have thought of a way the game has been hacked that they haven't.. This game is majorly flawed and I'm getting fed up of getting myself into a strong position for this game to screw me over one way or another... I have had about 15 wins go walk abouts and dissappear....beating so called "experts" and "masters" but don't worry the only hack that has happened in this game IS THE STUPIDEST AND MOST OBVIOUS HACK TO SPOT AND NO HACKER IN THE WORLD COULD THINK OF ANYTHING SMARTER... sorry for the rant.... SMG have kinda annoyed me haha

1 person likes this
ATT. MATT L ANDRE THE REST OF YOU EXPLOITERS OUT THERE! If anyone would care to look up the definition of "Cheater" and "Exploiter" you will find, that it is pretty close. But you ARE grinding points on others behalf. Indeed everyone else could use two or accounts. And everyone else could find another way to chea-, I mean exploit of course. BUT THEY DON'T! To Cheat: "[...] Act in a dishonest way [...]" http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cheating To Exploit (2): "[...] To use selfishly for one's own ends [...]" http://www.dictionary.com/browse/exploit (And yes, - I AM aware of the OTHER definitions in the links :D)

1 person likes this
Matt, SMG can catch them, albeit after the game. Well several games anyway. Once they see a pattern of the same two players aligning in multiple games then the exploiter can be banned. Whether it's fixable or not (cheat vs exploit), isn't relevant, it's about what's fair, what's right. The other players will call the exploiters out-plenty of threads here showing that. As I said in another thread, it's like sitting down to a board game and one player gets to play 2 sets of armies. However, in the online version you often don't know until it's too late. And even if you do know, it's usually too big of a hurdle to overcome.

1 person likes this

So if SMG doesn't want players playing together, why is it built into the game? (To ally)

How can SMG ban someone for something they put in the game?

Please understand I don't like allies, I play one player and 90% decline ally invites, but only because I prefer to play alone, and also knowing that ally will back stab me about four turns later.

1 person likes this
Matt you must be a Cheater. Anyone who says 1 player playing 2 accounts is not cheating does not know fair play. That logic would also mean 1 player plaiying 4 accounts against 1 player PLAYING 1 account and by the turn 1 being over after every 1 matt is playing has attacked the same guy and he doesnt even get 1 trade in... Well i guess that makes you an xpert......in cheating and probanly couldnt win any other way. Im guessing you are 30 or younger

1 person likes this
Fix the bugs or refund my money

1 person likes this
One thing they should do is block accounts created within the same google account from playing together. But after that some simple code could be used to figure out most cheaters. Checking for IPs of accounts playing in a game. How many times they play together. I suppose I've run across a few players that end up in my games once a night or something like that.

1 person likes this
Nothing wrong with that, but good luck consistently finding an ally that won't stab you in the back before you betray him, lol

1 person likes this

Matt L,

Nope, you're not cheating. And that won't show up as cheating either. There are many things SMG looks at. Mostly what it comes down to, if you're playing often with the same player and both of those accounts keep winning esp with one account always being "the winner" it's obvious that this isn't some random person you're allying up with as a strategy. "cheating" doesn't have anything to do with having an "ally." It's all about having a per-meditated accomplice before the game was even made. And they pull the trigger on that when it's made obvious.

Gussie,

There are some idiots who partially kill a player because they want to take a continent late in the game or are legit trying to beat down the dominating player. This is why you should not play beginners. The biggest thing SMG needs to do is help advanced players match up with each other. Because yeah, I'm not going to start sweeping a guy unless I know I can sweep him. There are obvious cheaters who use one account to half kill someone, or knock out that difficult to reach territory which is your defense about the other guy bothering to try and kill you. Those are usually obvious cheats and I report immediately or could be dumb novices who think taking North America for one turn before the game ends is going to do them any good. The really good cheaters will play it out like they are that idiot who just wants the continent so that you won't know they're collaborating. But why anyone who's actually good at the game would cheat is beyond me. Nobody gives a damn who makes what rank in this so without the self-pride of achieving it, what's the point?

1 person likes this