Start a new topic

Cheating vs Exploit

You should be careful accusing someone of cheating.

-Two players ganging up on you is NOT CHEATING!

- One player playing two accounts is NOT CHEATING!

- BOTS tough one, but still saying the BOT has no actual cheats but just another account to try and give the player an edge. Not much dif. then having a second account. Still saying this is NOT CHEATING!

I calls these exploiting a games feature, and impossible to stop.

I have hundreds of games logged in Risk, and have not seen one person actual cheat, as in roll sixes every roll, control the game so no one can move but only them, GOD mode where you can't hurt them, etc. NOT ONCE!

I do see many players trying to get an advantage with a second account, but honestly most of them suck and need two accounts.

I see many posts about cheating, but I challenge any of you, prove they actual have cheats vs just playing a second player who also is not cheating rather then playing dirty.

1 person has this question

Actually, everyone should be using the report buttons when they suspect cheating. SMG can easily tell if it's a cheater or not. BUt for some reason they don't automatically detect and ban them so we need to actually report them when it's happening. It's a rough function right now. That is, you need to do it before you get killed or the other player for that matter too. Hopefully that'll be fixed next update because I sometimes have to report people who may be cheating but I'm not certain and can't tell until after I've been killed / watch the rest of the game in spectator mode. Some of the cheaters are very good actors, where they'll play it just like they're individual accounts and don't even care if the higher ranked one gets 1st place or not. Unfortunately for them, SMG can still tell if they're cheating but it could prevent them from getting reported. Just keep in mind that if they suddenly change to look legit after you're dead they could be trying to cover it up.

Don't play with this guy Duck Freedom 4 this Expert . Everytime I killed his territory he had I got disconnected and lost my turn. However I could hit anyone elses. This happened about 4 turns than he finnaly took me out. I thought something was up when I saw a blue player getting ready for his turn had 9 troops and there was maybe one orange troop looked away and it changed to 10 oragne and 1 blue. Blue didn't even add troops yet. So I know he didn't hit and loss any.

I thought maybe it was just me that was suspicious of cheating in SMG RIsk.. 

I just played a Master, he created the game and there were also 2 expert bots in the game.  I didn't even notice that until the game had actually started. 

After the other 3 players were eliminated It was just me, the Master and an Expert bot left and the bot kept going after me while leaving the other guy alone even when it easily could have ran through his areas with 1 troop and there was no tactical reason to attack me.  I mean the other player was building up massive amounts of troops right next to the bot and the bot kept putting troops near me when I had much smaller numbers of troops.  That makes zero sense from a tactical standpoint.  Is the AI just that godawful?

I've also seen many times where a player will attack my troops when there is another player with lower troop counts right next to him.  This is especially suspicious at the beginning of the game when there is no reason to attack higher numbers of troop and everyone is on equal footing so there's probably no alliances made yet.

Online Risk is really frustrating because you can't communicate with the other players.  It's hard to tell sometimes if it's just an incredibly stupid person or if it's really obvious cheating by using a second account.

I know your thinking, what if...

I try to make it look like, if the other player doesn't kill their own (allegedly) teammate, then I will, so it's in their best interest to allow so one player still wins. I would get 2nd place, better than 3rd in that scenario. 

And to the guy at the beginning of the thread who said using two accounts wasn't cheating.......what are you talking about?  Of course it's cheating.  If someone controls two players in a game they have twice as many troops and options as everyone else.

I really don't know why anyone would do that....what's the fun in cheating at a game?  But on the other hand like I said in my earlier post I have seen examples where a player was player so badly that they either were totally clueless about how to play Risk or it was someone's sock account attacking players to benefit themselves.

I just played a game where the green player.....on his first turn.....attacked everyone he could but the red.  He kept attacking until he had no troops left.  On his first turn. 

Very frustrating.  I guess there's really no way you can prevent multiple accounts but it's frustrating losing a game based on someone controlling two players.

Marc C... This has happened to me a lot... But don't worry you can rest assured that this person did not cheat and it is in fact your location that did this to you.... Or that's what pathetic excuse I get from SMG... No they haven't figured out any other way the game can be hacked... They haven't worked out that hackers have probably gained control of AI to give themselves an advantage... Or others have been able to manipulate your actions and force you to miss turns... But no... The only hack anyone is smart enough to use according to SMG is giving themselves extra troops...

Briand,

You quoted "SMG can easily tell if it's a cheater or not."

Curious how your so sure they can do that ?

- Small company, $5 game, paid staff babysitting vs coding...

Not saying they don't care or want to stop cheating, but if they can identify a cheater so easily, why not just prevent it in the first place. 

I'm not thinking "what if" Matt.

I'm asking how you win in that situation.

It happens all the time because so many people LIKE YOU are using multiple accounts.

So your big "strategy" is to shoot for 2nd place lol?

The only way you could even finish second in that situation is if orange let you.

That's a pathetic answer BTW. 

When a player cheats and uses multiple accounts it's almost impossible to overcome.  The only reason it's technically "possible" to overcome is because theoretically you could roll 6s a hundred times in a row....but it' not likely.

Players using multiple accounts happens all the time.  So tell me.....how do you overcome a 2:1 advantage? 

You're the expert....help me out.

You have so much wisdom, explaining all your loses.

Stay with that, it's your story.

Lol it's funny it only happened when I was going to kill his full territorys and big troops .

Jason,

You say tossing in the towel is the only option, I'm saying if I can get one of the other players to take out their own teammate, sacrificing cards so one is victorious. I look at that as I also won. SO that would be my strategy, not throwing in the towel.

When playing for rank, 2nd place still counts, 3rd does not as you'll actually lose rank in 3rd place. Although, this is dif as you approach Grandmaster, 1st place or nothing, cause 2nd place loses rank then. Heck 1st place gets you like 100 or 200 rank standing point, you barely move.

Not sure why you think that a pathetic strategy, vs your ingenious throwing in the towel strat!

There are NO OTHER PLAYES lol.  It's one guy controlling TWO accounts.

You look at losing to cheaters as "winning" you look at cheating as an "exploit".

It's a pathetic strategy because you're just giving in to cheating.

You call people who complain about cheaters like you "whiners" yet you're so gutless you'd rather finish second or third than call out cheating.

Pathetic.

Matt, people like you cheat to win.

So tell me.....how do you win in that situation?  How do you win when a person is cheating and controlling twice as many troops, cards, turns as you.

Tell me how I could have prevented that "loses" lol.

Quit making excuses and break it down for me......how do you win in that situation?  It happens all the time. 

So.........?

And keep defending cheaters and whining about people who call out cheaters.  That says all that needs to be said about you.

2 years of you here whining about people who call out cheating and have a problem with it.  2 years of you defending cheating.

Pathetic.

SMG designed the game in a way that in alliance, the 2 allies can send each other secret instruction to attack certain player. Not the names of territories, but player color only. Therefore rightfully, they can’t coordinate themselves in such a way as example here. Player A and player B are not ordinary allies.4 other players are in play.one particular player, player C occupies Australia, Greenland and South Africa. Player A in a single turn takes Greenland and South Africa in a very deliberate move, travel across many territories just to reach there. When it comes to player B, he trade his cards, and eliminate the player in Australia. Is this possible for an alliance between strangers? I don’t think so. Second example, you and a stranger is allied, you are stronger than him but you got a common enemy around the same size as you.would you go all out to eliminate the enemy even if You know that it is suicidal and it will cost you the chance to win the game as your ally will gain the enemy cards instead?Again, an alliance between strangers, where each man for himself will not have let this happen. But again and again, we saw “selfless” players make such “sacrificial” moves that got me wondering why such “saints” and “martyr” even bother to play such a game. Shouldn’t they join Red Cross, WWF etc and save the world instead?that is why when such strange moves happened, people are shouting cheating, it is either an alliance between friends using WhatsApp as communication tool or someone using multiple accounts in the same game. I wanted to really believe that there are “saints” and “martyr” who play the game to let other win, but I am just not naive enough.

You can't win if your trying to come up with a strategy in the last couple moves, too late.

Strategy starts at game initial placement. Where are blizzards placed, watching 1st turn carefully to see where their intent is. Strategy starts early, and adjusts throughout the game.

Example:

You and only other play are both wanting Africa, everyone else is leaving you two alone.
You both have like 15+ troops one one spot in Africa.

Do you, Jason, ever back down and leave or do you take it personal and attack thinking it's your best chance to win?