Start a new topic

Turn Timer Extension after Opponent Defeat

The risk timer would be reset or partially reset after defeating an opponent. This would allow more time for drafting after territory card seizure additional attack, and fortification. It would also eliminate the forfeiture of seized cards and bonus troops if an opponent is defeated directly before the turn timer expires.

HOW TO VOTE FOR THIS FEATURE? Tap the 'Do you like this idea?' below

28 people like this idea

I already submitted a feature request (and I was going to make a new post but found this one) but I wondered other peoples take on it. What's most annoying to me about the game, though I love Risk, is the way the timer works. 60 seconds, or even 120 seconds is not enough time when running the board. I personally think you should get a second or so back when taking a territory because it sucks when the turn ends and you can't even fortify troops. So you have to make the added effort of choosing between continuing a run/attacking, or strategically fortifying. In addition, you have not time to make a strategic decision but point, click, attach, click 'OK' repeat. It also makes the game go on forever when there's only two players left going back and forth with a but load of armies. Attacking defending, attacking defending, and so on. It makes the game last way longer but it's generally obvious who's going to win at that point.

1 person likes this
I quite like the old system where if you're playing a game with a 60 second timer you only get 60 seconds to complete your go. I don't like that players now get extra time. The whole point of a 60 second game is to keep the game flowing quickly and to make people think on their feet. If you're playing against 5 people you potentially have 5 lots of 60 seconds to plan your move. It's a bit like chess, you should be planning many turns in advance and multiple strategies/contingencies in your head of what you would do depending on the variables and possibilities. Part of the fun is contemplating "do I have enough time to kill an enemy and then fortify to protect my continent". Part of the game is luck as to whose turn it will be at the point at which the weakest opponent is in a position of A. (in an area not surrounded by other armies), B. (has a low enough number of armies to attack), C. (has enough cards to make the kill worthwhile). Really other than doing the maths of "is it worthwhile" the only skill involved is being able to do it against the timer. Being given a large chunk of extra time really puts finishing off an opponent down to positional luck. I guess you can sometimes block others so they have to go through you to take out the weak player but that's not always possible and quite risky. I do however quite like the idea of having an extra 30 seconds to deploy the armies from your new territory cards, but not to then go on attacking. It's too powerful an update which is based mostly on luck of who gets it.
But it would be logical for the feature of dynamic turn timer extension if the player is still attacking. It doesn't make sense when the same turn timer of say 90 secs applies to a player who attacks 1 territory compared to a player who is on a chain attacking 20 territories. Both players has the same amount of turn time but one use it for one attack/one dice-roll, another one needs 20 attacks/20 dice-rolls. It is also nerve wracking to see the timer getting towards the end but I am still in the process of attacking. And then suddenly the timer ends and I got no time to complete my chain-attack and fortified my troops. The game is stupid when its like you get penalised for attacking too many territories, because you have only the same amount of turn time to attack, be it one territory or 30 territories. I love the suggestion of freezing the timer during attacking, meaning the timer clocks only for planning and not for attacking and dice-roll. Whats the point of adding the manual dice-roll in global gameplay when no one is using it? Everyone else is using blitzed dice-roll especially when you needs to attack a number of territories. Either a dynamic turn timer which varies on the number of consecutive attacks or freezing the turn timer during attack would really helps. This needs to be seriously look into. :)

1 person likes this
They have made it so you get something like an additional 30-60s when you trade in cards from a kill. I only play 3m+ games which is normally plenty of time for me to figure out my strategic path and blow the whole map in one turn and still have time left over. 120s games, which are the most common are still doable but pretty gut-wrenching if you try to clear the entire map. Usually you have to plan accordingly for that forfeiture of turn. I haven't played those since the card turn in timer addition but I'd imagine it's still not an easy run on the map.

It's very simple. The timer for the game should be set for "planning" and when you make an attack, whether blitz or not, the timer freezes. Give it at least 3s from the time of hitting the attack that it freezes and I'll be happy. The concept should be that you can attack continuously without any time building up, but any time taken to think will run the timer. I'd easily go back to 120s or even 90s games if the implemented this. It'd be nice if I wasn't forced to blitz in situations where it can be game changing to do so.

2 people like this
Yes the turn timer issue needs to be seriously look into. I can't believe the developer hasn't done anything on this since this thread is one year ago, with so many comments/feedbacks on the issue. I just downloaded the game few days ago and is having fun playing, which is why I later purchased the premium option. But then there are countless times when I lost a game due to the sudden expired timer; 1) when I was at the end of a chain attack after eliminating a player and the timer expired and I have no time to change the cards and fortified the troops; 2) when I was near the end of a chain attack with the last one territory to eliminate a player and then the timer expired and the next player took the chance to eliminate that player when I have done all the hard work.  This turn timer needs to be improved. - Maybe with time extension of 5-10secs after every 3-5 consecutive wins during a chain attack (time extension and number of consecutive wins can be varied depending on map and number of active players in game etc). This will give the attacking player extra time when he is on a chain attack. - Or a time bank as someone has suggested. Time not used during the turn timer period (eg. a player used only 50sec in a 60sec turn thus he saved 10sec into time bank) can be used when the turn timer expired during a turn (a pop up option asking if a player wishes to extend). This time bank will have a maximum allowable time stored, eg max 90 sec for a 90 sec turn game. So at any turn, a player can only used up to 50% or 100% of the time in time bank (the developer can study on the allowable time extension). To make it simple, every time the player activate the option to use the time bank, all the time in the time bank is used. When the time bank is depleted, then any unused time during a turn can be saved again. So this make sure a player cannot saved unlimited amount of time, which makes sense. I hope the developer looks into the comments and feeebacks regarding this turn timer feature and work out something. The sudden expired turn timer during gameplay always make the player frustrated especially when he's on a chain attack. Even more frustrating when you are on a winning edge but lost the game due to the turn timer expiring.  Lastly, enjoy the game and cheers! 

1 person likes this

This is a MUST! After defeating an opponent, you need more time to plan your next strategy.

This is standard practice on most of the Risk websites and other Risk apps!

2 people like this

I actually really like that idea. However, I think that should be an option.

3 minutes has been plenty for me to clear the whole map starting from 1 territory as long as I have my route planned out. and that can include killing a couple of players on the way too. But i hate feeling rushed during very crucial moves. I sit there through the whole beginning of the game while people idle trying to make their one attack per turn. Why can't we find a way to get more time for when the game gets longer? I can only play 3 min games because of the ending rounds. The loss is a lot of waiting in the beginning but better than losing simply because I didn't already own half the map.

I'd like the idea of every roll or blitz you make, it adds 5 seconds. So as long as you are progressing forward with attacks, you will always have time. Let the 30 or 60 seconds be for planning the route and sticking out your tongue at players before destroying them.

3 people like this

Another option would be to add a 60-90sec extension button that each player would get to use 1 or 2 times per game. 

In general, the turn timer on most gameplay options is too short. 2 minutes is not enough time on most maps to kill more than one player, make trades, place armies strategically, and fortify. 3 minutes is barely enough in some cases, and it changes the game from one of strategy to one that has more to do with how quickly you can attack. 

1 person likes this

Maxumus, part of the challenge to be speedy and do everything in limited time.

@Wolf Thorne, Markus's idea would actually allow for a game of quicker judgement with the 30 second turn idea. The 5 bonus seconds is only so you have enough time for you to physically make the attacks, not to plan them. Side note, you should also get 5 seconds whenever you fail a blitz to try to recuperate.

1 person likes this

In reply to what markus nelson said, I don't think his idea is good because that is part of the challenge in the game. Being quick and making quick judgement is a skill you need to have in RISK. A strategy I like to use is to let an opponent take out most of territories and then sneaking in and taking the cards.

1 person likes this
A short term improvement could be to make it so that when a player has 5+ cards at the end of their turn the set troops are deployed to a random border territory instead of spread out everywhere. Alternatively the card bonus troops could be deployed to the border territory with the largest army in it.
Since my topic got merged here I'll repost my idea:

If you successfully attack a territory 5 sec should be added to the timer allowing the player time to advance troops the way they want and make another attack if they want. This would allow for long but productive turns. There is nothing worse than having the troops to eliminate a player only to have time run out just before you finish the job which allows another player to poach there cards. This could possibly allow for a speed game with a 30 sec turn time where turns are either quick or productive. In addition adding 30 sec for defeating a player would work well in combination with this. This could be implemented as an option or just make it for shorter game times. 5 min games certainly don't need this.

4 people like this
The game used to just skip a player who had left the game but each turn he would get his new troops randomly distributed. This would lead to a large build up of troops that could be used as a shield. For example let's say the red player left the game, I destroyed all of his territories that were left except the one in front of Australia because I own Australia. Then every turn 3 more red men would be placed there providing me a shield for Australia. The new way is much better. I like the timer idea!
Login or Signup to post a comment