Start a new topic

Turn Timer Extension after Opponent Defeat

The risk timer would be reset or partially reset after defeating an opponent. This would allow more time for drafting after territory card seizure additional attack, and fortification. It would also eliminate the forfeiture of seized cards and bonus troops if an opponent is defeated directly before the turn timer expires.

HOW TO VOTE FOR THIS FEATURE? Tap the 'Do you like this idea?' below

28 people like this idea

Actually I wondered about that quite a bit of late. I belive the "turn timer" should ONLY affect the "attack phase" and allow us to at least set the correct troop movement after a successfull attack. Afterwards a set amount of time (10, 15, 30 sec, based on the current game timer) could be used to place new armies (upon cashing in on defeated player's cards) or fortify our positions. Too many times I have found myself with useless troops du to them not moving forward on my last attack or have my new troops scartered all over the map because I ran out of time to properly place them. So MY solution would be to have set times for each "phase" of the game (Draft, Attack, Fortify) For 60 sec "turn": 10-60-10 For 120 sec turns: 20-120-20 For 3 min turns: 30s-3m-30s Etc. Furthermore, if an idle player does not do his draft portion himself, then the app simply skip the next 2 phases and move the the next player.

4 people like this

John, and Michel these are really great suggestions! 

if an idle player does not do his draft portion himself, then the app simply skip the next 2 phases and move the the next player.

Michel the timer per phase with the extension you've suggested is brilliant. The only thing is the above comment about skipping attack etc, which we wouldn't go back to. This was pretty much how the older builds worked for afk players. It ended up causing bottlenecks and territory 'shields' for active players, and really skewed the gameplay.

I wasn't here then, can you explain those "bottlenecks" and "territory shields", I am not I sure I understand how waiting for the timer to run down could prevent this?
The game used to just skip a player who had left the game but each turn he would get his new troops randomly distributed. This would lead to a large build up of troops that could be used as a shield. For example let's say the red player left the game, I destroyed all of his territories that were left except the one in front of Australia because I own Australia. Then every turn 3 more red men would be placed there providing me a shield for Australia. The new way is much better. I like the timer idea!
Since my topic got merged here I'll repost my idea:

If you successfully attack a territory 5 sec should be added to the timer allowing the player time to advance troops the way they want and make another attack if they want. This would allow for long but productive turns. There is nothing worse than having the troops to eliminate a player only to have time run out just before you finish the job which allows another player to poach there cards. This could possibly allow for a speed game with a 30 sec turn time where turns are either quick or productive. In addition adding 30 sec for defeating a player would work well in combination with this. This could be implemented as an option or just make it for shorter game times. 5 min games certainly don't need this.

4 people like this
A short term improvement could be to make it so that when a player has 5+ cards at the end of their turn the set troops are deployed to a random border territory instead of spread out everywhere. Alternatively the card bonus troops could be deployed to the border territory with the largest army in it.

In reply to what markus nelson said, I don't think his idea is good because that is part of the challenge in the game. Being quick and making quick judgement is a skill you need to have in RISK. A strategy I like to use is to let an opponent take out most of territories and then sneaking in and taking the cards.

1 person likes this
@Wolf Thorne, Markus's idea would actually allow for a game of quicker judgement with the 30 second turn idea. The 5 bonus seconds is only so you have enough time for you to physically make the attacks, not to plan them. Side note, you should also get 5 seconds whenever you fail a blitz to try to recuperate.

1 person likes this

Maxumus, part of the challenge to be speedy and do everything in limited time.

Another option would be to add a 60-90sec extension button that each player would get to use 1 or 2 times per game. 

In general, the turn timer on most gameplay options is too short. 2 minutes is not enough time on most maps to kill more than one player, make trades, place armies strategically, and fortify. 3 minutes is barely enough in some cases, and it changes the game from one of strategy to one that has more to do with how quickly you can attack. 

1 person likes this
3 minutes has been plenty for me to clear the whole map starting from 1 territory as long as I have my route planned out. and that can include killing a couple of players on the way too. But i hate feeling rushed during very crucial moves. I sit there through the whole beginning of the game while people idle trying to make their one attack per turn. Why can't we find a way to get more time for when the game gets longer? I can only play 3 min games because of the ending rounds. The loss is a lot of waiting in the beginning but better than losing simply because I didn't already own half the map.

I'd like the idea of every roll or blitz you make, it adds 5 seconds. So as long as you are progressing forward with attacks, you will always have time. Let the 30 or 60 seconds be for planning the route and sticking out your tongue at players before destroying them.

3 people like this

I actually really like that idea. However, I think that should be an option.

This is a MUST! After defeating an opponent, you need more time to plan your next strategy.

This is standard practice on most of the Risk websites and other Risk apps!

2 people like this
Yes the turn timer issue needs to be seriously look into. I can't believe the developer hasn't done anything on this since this thread is one year ago, with so many comments/feedbacks on the issue. I just downloaded the game few days ago and is having fun playing, which is why I later purchased the premium option. But then there are countless times when I lost a game due to the sudden expired timer; 1) when I was at the end of a chain attack after eliminating a player and the timer expired and I have no time to change the cards and fortified the troops; 2) when I was near the end of a chain attack with the last one territory to eliminate a player and then the timer expired and the next player took the chance to eliminate that player when I have done all the hard work.  This turn timer needs to be improved. - Maybe with time extension of 5-10secs after every 3-5 consecutive wins during a chain attack (time extension and number of consecutive wins can be varied depending on map and number of active players in game etc). This will give the attacking player extra time when he is on a chain attack. - Or a time bank as someone has suggested. Time not used during the turn timer period (eg. a player used only 50sec in a 60sec turn thus he saved 10sec into time bank) can be used when the turn timer expired during a turn (a pop up option asking if a player wishes to extend). This time bank will have a maximum allowable time stored, eg max 90 sec for a 90 sec turn game. So at any turn, a player can only used up to 50% or 100% of the time in time bank (the developer can study on the allowable time extension). To make it simple, every time the player activate the option to use the time bank, all the time in the time bank is used. When the time bank is depleted, then any unused time during a turn can be saved again. So this make sure a player cannot saved unlimited amount of time, which makes sense. I hope the developer looks into the comments and feeebacks regarding this turn timer feature and work out something. The sudden expired turn timer during gameplay always make the player frustrated especially when he's on a chain attack. Even more frustrating when you are on a winning edge but lost the game due to the turn timer expiring.  Lastly, enjoy the game and cheers! 

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment