Start a new topic

Quality of Life Improvements

Hi, I attached a photoshopped picture suggesting some improvements for risk. The draw of the Risk app, is that it's a real-time, interactive, multiplayer game. However, due to the current layout of the game, a lot of those positive aspects of the app are diminished. I have proposed a simple way to help improve the game. My suggestions will allow the game to feel more interactive, more social, and overall, more fun. It will give the feeling that you are truly playing with other humans, and make it easier to interact with them.

Furthermore, my suggestions would be fairly easy to implement in the current system. They utilize previously "blank space" on the map. There is a balance when creating the user interface, you don't want the game to be overcluttered, but you also don't want it to feel empty. Currently, I think that it feels a little to empty. My suggestion fills some of that space (with useful information), while not overly cluttering the game's interface. 

Portraits: All player portraits should remain on the left side of the screen at all times (in the blank part of the pop). This way, we can convey information about the other players quickly and more easily. 
Note: For players who want their screen more clear, you could simply include the ability to disable the feature in your settings.

Alliances: I think that all the players' portraits should appear on the left side of the screen (in the previously blank space). Underneath their portraits, there will be a text box stating if the player is in an alliance with you or not.

Attack Requests: To the right of the player portrait, a box should appear when somebody requests that you attack. That way all information is being kept in the same area. It is odd now how the message appears on the top of the screen (where my eyes generally aren't looking). Furthermore, the text box should remain for at least 5 seconds, or until a player taps it (to remove it). Currently, the "attack requests" disappear before I can even read what happened.

Emotes: When a player emotes, it should appear next to their portrait. This way, again, I won't miss it when somebody reacts. It will also allow me to tell which player is reacting more easily. Currently, the emote pops up so quickly, I miss it most of the time. Furthermore, it is always unclear which player is reacting.  

Selecting an emote: On the main screen, next to the two buttons on the bottom, should be a new button. This button will allow players to quickly pull up the emote screen and react. Currently, it takes about 4-5 seconds to get to the emote screen. That delay makes the reaction lose context and requires too much effort (since there is a simple alternative, namely, the one I suggested). 

One Further Suggestion: This suggestion is a little less related since I didn't put it in the photo I am uploading. But I feel it would be really useful to include a response to the "attack" request. I would like to be able to reply to my ally and say "Yes, I will attack in [1], [2], or [3] turns" (I know you don't want a "Yes" or "No" response, but I think you should be able to indicate something"). This, like all my other suggestions, will help make the game feel more interactive. It can help build an interactive community that will perpetuate growth. 

1 person likes this idea
1 Comment

I hope this gets some attention :D

Login or Signup to post a comment