Start a new topic
Implemented

New Dice Algorithm / True dice rolls

Game does not use true dice roll probabilities. Many, many times I've had 97-99% chance to win and dont.

HOW TO VOTE FOR THIS FEATURE? Tap the 'Do you like this idea?' below

91 people like this idea

Well, it's dice. You have skill and then there's a luck factor to it also. What do you want "Risk" to be? Precise average odds for every single attack? What's the point in a game like that there everything is predictable? The whole point is that in general, skill is going to prevail but there is risk involved and sometimes you NEED to take a risk to win. If there's no dice, there's no chance for anyone who got beaten up at the start.

The game cheats. Example…opponent (their bot) has 10 in west Africa. Attacking my Brazil with 9. Wipes me out then take over the entire continent of  South America. Plus has 6 left over after occupying all country’s. Developers do not care if you’re upset. They’ve known this for a long time. Stubborn crooked people. 

A bajillion people have said the dice are flawed - and Marky Mark comes along as the Lone Crusader to say they are fine lol!

Dude, ya obviously aren't up to speed with the probabilities... check out this website for a basic primer = 

http://www.datagenetics.com/blog/november22011/index.html

Like I said, we still have a level playing field as everyone has the same crappy dice (although it does mean you have to adjust the strategy of how you play) - however the monumental problem is, crappy rolls kill the popularity and profitability of the game... 

Right now it seems about 5 million people have downloaded Risk - which is great... but it could/should/would be double or even triple that!

More importantly, only a small percentage of people go ahead and pay for Premium - that percentage would be much higher... if SMG fixed all the many minor and major issues!

Anyway, seeing as you're even more obsessive than me (way to go bro lol!) and have recorded/uploaded some games - I'll go through them and put the data into a public Google spreadsheet... so we can all analyse till the kangaroos come home!

I have won 326 and lost 282. I attack more 3 on 1 than am attacked 3 on 1, so that has nothing to do with me having lost 16000 more troops than i have won. They have it set up that the lower rated rolls high numbers. Until they post dice rolled against, i won't believe them.
Here is how out of wack that is. I have played 608 games, for an average of 309 troops won/defeated per game. That would mean i could play 51 games in a row, without losing a single troop, before i got to even. Bwahaha SMG (Suck My Genitals)
Brian. That is my point, when you come in as a new player, magically you win a ton more than you lose. My theory is they want new and or bad players to stick around and play more games, so they give them a little help. WHICH IS BS
Hey guys, I reverse engineered the Android version, did some experiments on different ways to cheat, and deconstructed the way die rolls work. To encourage open conversation, I posted this offsite on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Risk/comments/8rbgsy/deconstructed_the_official_android_version_how/
"we would expect to see virtually even distribution, but not in the short run." ...which is exactly why the dice stats in my previous post are so out of whack. That was ONE single player game. And agreed with what Justin Burt posted... SMG already stated that they changed the dice rolling code/algorithm: "We rewrote the dice rolling algorithm several times to arrive at a more balanced dice simulation, just released in v1.9.36." "We feel this algorithm is much more balanced than our previous algorithm." SOOOO... what was wrong with it to begin with, and what exactly was changed? I mean, what in the world is SO difficult with coding a simple and accurate random number generator??? I myself have coded ancient QuickBasic v4.5 programs for DOS (as well as ones coded in NeoSoft's "NeoBook Professional" for Windows) that WERE WAY MORE accurate and random compared to SMG's algorithm. I mean, Folks: this game is PREDOMINATELY a DICE game... if the SO-CALLED "random" dice code is bugged, this TOTALLY RUINS the ENTIRE game.
Aitch, there's no need to be a prick.  I have no problem with you or anyone else who thinks there's a issue with the dice, and I'm not in any way insulting you or them.

I'm aware that a lot of people have complained about the dice, and I'm also aware that I'm not the only person who thinks these complaints have been blown out of proportion and may well be artifacts of human psychology.  I didn't just jump into the tail end of this discussion without reading the previous posts and other threads on this same topic.  Just because a lot of people think something is true doesn't make that thing true (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum).  In all of the complaining that's been done about the dice I haven't seen any evidence.  The evidence I have access to (my videos and others I've found on youtube) doesn't seem to support these claims of bad dice.  If I see evidence that does support bad dice, I will happily change my tune.

I'm also very familiar with the probabilities of rolling dice as they relate to RISK.  Not only have I seen the probability tables that can be found in numerous places on the internet, but I have actually worked out the probabilities myself to confirm what I've seen elsewhere.  I also have a background in math, specifically a BS, and I'm a math teacher by trade.

Post your spreadsheets if you want, but the raw data (videos) that you mentioned would be much better.  If you post videos, no one has to take your word for it that your spreadsheets are accurate.  I have my own raw data (my videos and others' videos on youtube), and that data does not seem to support the claims you and others have made about frequently encountering very improbable dice rolls.  That's why I'm skeptical.  If you're offended by my skepticism and requests that you actually support you claims with actual evidence, that's your problem.

Started reading your thread, immediate thing that jumps out to me was that rolls are made on the client and not the server. I've known this for ages because if your device gets disconnected from the net, you could sweep through several territories before the game decides that you're disconnected and then resets you to the point where you were disconnected. Other proof of it is that the device's processing power also affects how quickly results come out. That wouldn't be the case if it was internet dependent on a server. I'm certain SMG did this so they could cheap out their servers.I don't blame them though. It's not an expensive game. But if we ever start some official tournament or something, it needs to be server based.

That's the opposite of my findings. New player, won both games and still lost more than I won. The ratio is about the same as my other accounts.

More than likely the tracking is bugged. I never believed the dice roll numbers either.

Wow, what a thread. 

Developers - could you please engage a statistician if necessary and post a detailed explanation of the matrix algorithm used, surely you have a data scientist in the team somewhere that skill set. At least that way there is full transparency. Also can you please respond to the allegation that new players are advantaged by design. Neither of these issues will go away unless you address them.

Also, I got into this game some 3 years ago I think. And before the SMG logo was appearing (It was straight Hasbro?) the blitz rolls with several armies froze the device pretty hard sometimes. I think the blitz rolls used to be rolled out. But SMG changed it to a probability matrix. Blitz is instantaneous these days.

whole dice is scam how the hell does 21 v 17 work when i loose the lot yet he has 9 left over and not long after to take a grand master out of the game i had 8 v 4 yet he lost nothing and then he cam back to win the game what a load of BS

quite often 3 will not take a 1 when by all means 99% it should

iv asked for my money back within 1 day of playing the game when i found the dice is BS and not random

The greatest concern is with the code granting an automatic win to an attacker of x number of troops over the defender. Losing a "random" amount of troops if unlucky on the probability roll. This explains why the losses can be so catastrophic sometimes. Like losing 30 to a defender's 5. That CAN happen but it happens a lot more than I would expect.

Why can't we just have blitz programmed to be true dice rolls? And why can't single rolls be true dice rolls? It can't be THAT taxing on the device to randomly generate some numbers.

It also makes sense that a hacker can make his rolls more likely to win but still appear like it's fair from losing some troops. I have observed this before, where it seems insane that a guy is only losing a few on his run through the map. Not just lucky I guess.

Login or Signup to post a comment