Start a new topic

Going Inactive

Of all the cheating that goes on in this game the most infuriating (because it must be so easy to fix) is players who go ‘inactive’, letting the AI take over for numerous turns and giving the impression they have quit before suddenly returning after the AI has improved their fortunes. I realise people lose connection occasionally and need to return to games but players disappear for 10 or more turns before miraculously reappearing after the AI has won them a continent. Come on SMG, surely you can fix this one?

2 people have this question

That's right, many people abuse this because once they relax and allow the bot to play, they know that the bot will start to randomly attack their friends and enemies alike and there will be no retaliation, because nobody fights robots until all other human players are defeated or weakened. Then the smart ass "wakes up" in an opportune moment and beats his startled opponents.
Definitely do not allow anybody to re-join after second missed turn.

SMG should block humans from returning after 2 turns. They can start another game, not ruin the one they “dropped” out of — as I definitely think certain players take advantage of this

I constantly check status of "inactive" players. I started doing that after humans suddenly "woke up" and attacked me unexpectedly. If I see that a status has changed to active, then I regroup my armies and increase defense. I strongly suspect that many players go inactive in order to be left alone when they are losing in hope that they can recover and attack someone later.

I believe I agree with Billy's viewpoint. I know I have had it happen to me several times, where after multiple turns of play, in which the player in question has been inactive, I have made a move which I would only make against a computer. I think in almost every situation it has been a decision to eliminate the last remaining human player with troops that would be insufficient to contend with another human player, but are more than capable of defeating the remaining AI. However, once the remaining player that was inactive sees that they have the advantage, they return to the game and I suffer for it. Also, in most of those situations I have been invested in the game for over half an hour, whereas the other player has only checked on his/her status every once in a while. This is where I believe the infraction is. They didn't work for it or earn it. One might credit them for being clever, but hackers are clever in a manner of speaking as well. I have no issue with an AI taking over for a player for the entire game! Or it taking over for a turn or two! With most winning styles of play, a player that returns to the game after a computer has taken over for a few turns, usually has to work harder to regain their position. I have had this happen to me occasionally. The issue is when a player intentionally lets it play a significant portion of the game, and then, perhaps miraculously, wins the game or simply benefits from it as a result. This is where the problem is. I think after two or possibly even three turns the player should be disqualified from returning. This might already be a feature if they don't press the button to indicate that they have returned from inactivity, but it shouldn't be able to be bypassed by simply pressing the button once every few turns, and yet still doing nothing.

1 person likes this
So you’re blaming the humans lack of skill to play the game effectively? That’s probably true of low ranked players. I take advantage of the situation by directing the AI to attack my opponents. I dont see many of my opponents doing the same. So in that regard the AI is a better player than a lot of humans. How exactly could the situation be improved?
Absolutely, the AI is terrible. But for that precise reason if a player ‘leaves’ in a multi-player game and the AI takes over, the AI tends to get left alone in the short term (because it’s not regarded as a threat) and the remaining human players fight amongst themselves. The AI can improve its position and, hey presto, the human player returns to capitalise. If the human player was barred from returning it wouldn’t be an issue, the AI can easily be beaten in the long run as you note. I’ve seen it happen many many times so I don’t believe it’s my imagination!

2 people like this
You’re kidding right? The AI is completely inferior to real players. I have winning streaks in the 30’s playing against 2, 3, 4, or 5 “expert” computer players in single player mode. You can predict what they are going to do. I used that to my advantage when playing against computer players whether in single or multi player mode. Why would I or anyone else “leave” to let a computer player take over?
Login or Signup to post a comment