Start a new topic

Fair Play Rules

Update: Please note that this is an old version of our Fair Play Rules. To view our most recent version, please visit this page: https://smgstudio.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/11000090958-fair-play-rules

Fair Play Rules

To clear up any confusion in the community on what constitutes cheating we have the following Fair Play Rules.

1. Hacking the game, in any way, is (considered) cheating.

2. Using multiple accounts in the same game (to gain an advantage over other players) is (considered) cheating.

3. Playing with someone you know in Global Domination is cheating.

4. Abusing a bug or glitch or knowingly encouraging abuse of these is cheating.

5. Creating a negative experience for other players, by actions such as spamming excessively, refusing to end games, intentionally disrupting gameplay, delaying gameplay (stalling), or abusing our reconnection system intentionally, is cheating.

6. Don't play with anyone you know or have external communication with in Global Domination. Use Play Friends or risk a ban!

If you wish to play with people you know please use the Play with Friends mode. If you still wish to play with friends against real opponents, this must still be done via Play Friends. Please use the RISK Community's #looking_for_game feature at https://discord.gg/risk 

What happens when a player is reported for any of the above?

The following action will be taken if they are found to have broken these rules; 

• If the player was (found) hacking, they will be banned from RISK entirely.

• Although we try to warn new players who might not be aware of the rules, such a warning is not guaranteed. You might be banned by automatic or semiautomatic systems before receiving such warning.

• Should a player be banned - Their leaderboard position and rank points are completely removed. All games they have participated in for the current season, will have game results re-ordered so that they are placed last. All of their opponents will see this minor bonus.

FAQ

Q: How do I report a player?

A: Report in-app by clicking on their avatar and clicking on the red triangle icon under their name in the Alliance Window. If you come across any suspected hacking - Create a support ticket at http://smgstudio.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new with the names of the players.

Q: Why can't I team up with my friends in Global Domination?

A: We take a "act as you would like to be acted towards" approach here. It is unfair to team up against unsuspecting player who believe they are entering a fair “free for all” game. The ranking system is designed for “free for all” gameplay, not teams.

Q: Will you be adding a team mode in the future?

A: Yes it’s our goal to release a team mode that allows you to play with friends or random allies against another team. No ETA on this currently, but you can find information here http://smgstudio.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/11000009600 .

Q: Will more be done to prevent cheating?

A: Yes, we are currently rolling out a full suite of anti cheating features. Some have already been implemented and it’s logging play now. 

Q: What is the difference between forming alliances with stranger and forming one with friends? 

A: There is a difference between: the informal, temporary alliances forged and broken throughout the game (which, with all its betrayal, is an integral part of RISK) and starting a game with a friend or relative as well as strangers in there. This is intentional ganking and will not be tolerated. If you just want to play for the fun of it with your friends, start a "Play with Friends" game against AI opponents.

4 people have this question

Aitch
Because when I get to like rank 200 and I can't find any games with reasonably ranked players I get annoyed and make another account so that I "don't care" if I actually lose. Just wanna play! And then I find myself ranked really well again and made another account and and so on until I ended up with 6 lol. My latest "for fun" account has been bouncing between grandmaster and master. Either I suck these days or there's been excessive cheating lately. The fact SMG made this announcement suggests it's become more rampant than before.

Oh I did make one account strictly to play 4 player games. I am a 5-6 player game player. But I got curious about how to win a 4 player game so I made a new account and practiced and then... grandmaster lol Seriously, once you get up to those ranks you're usually fighting for like 10 rank points with a full win or losing 500-1000 with one loss. Even coming in 2nd place completely destroys you. That just isn't fair. We need a way to match up to competitive players. And novices are the worst. They do the stupidest things that hand the game to whatever lucky person happens to be after them. urgh.

1 person likes this
Cheating still happening. Panda poooh and Quinn gibbles4 both grandmasters protecting each other in Australia. Cheaters are sad people

1 person likes this
Ok so I play this game constantly and I have no friends that play with me and this crazy lady found me on Facebook and condemned me as a cheater. Now I didn't know it was possible to even do!!!! Omg! Now I see what she means but I don't cheat for gods sake my daughter is named karma! Anyway I am happy and angry to read some players can cause your turn to be skipped. I thought I was losing my mind for a minute. I'll be more aware and report those who are cheating. I see certain players just deploying troops the whole game and I'm skeptical of those people that never attack. What else should I be looking for because up until that email from this really crazy lady I was playing in a non cheating bliss just assuming I suck at risk. I mean come on my way record would be way better if I was doing shady stuff.
Most top players r cheats should be able to stop in game so obvious makes me mad grrrrr

2 people like this
I was so shocked when a grandmaster joined my game and he didn't appear to be cheating. Maybe he just got very unlucky. Pretty much anyone GM that joins me game ends up being a cheater. I hope they're getting deleted every time I report them. I rarely bother to report suspicion of cheating when they're Intermediate and below because losing that kind of a low rank probably won't make a difference but I will if they make it super obvious. Honestly, cheating has seemed down recently. And I haven't caught a hacker in a long time. Although if he's stealthy and only adds very few armies per turn extra, I may not notice because I'm using multi-tasking when I play lol

Guess I have been accused of cheating because I went from expert down to beginner.......no explanations given.....but reading over these forums.....i got why.....found a good alliance and we cut down this powerfully player and I'm guessing the sore loser accused me of cheating......why am I punished without being asked about what happen?....does this mean everytime i get teamed up on i can clam that they where cheating.....if this the way it is ...i guess every i lose u to someone working with an alliance I will have to accuse them of cheating.....so be it
Just to continue on comment early.....been playing risk for 40 years.....i know how to play.....including how to use alliances to aid me to victory....so it's unfair to penalize me for knowing how to play.......sorry to play to win and try to use all the ways of the game.....but to accuse me of cheating because u lost and be punished on a sore losers complaint is crazy...we need a few checks and balances to stop some sore loser from making such complants..........i could make a complaint on ever game of two people working togeather to win....but dont.....dealing with alliances is Part of the game
For sure you're a beginner or did you experience the error where when you're not connected to the internet and you login, it shows you as a beginner and also everyone else unless they are a GM, in which case it shows them as intermediate?

Teaming up on someone during the game isn't cheating. They don't just take a team up as it is and assume it's cheating. They look at other factors like how many times you play with that other account, IP addresses, etc... So there was something fishy going on most likely other than simply ganging up on someone. If you don't know the other person then it's ok. But if you do, that's your problem. I would complain if you were legit not cheating.

During a game, I think it becomes pretty obvious when two players are not in a legitimate alliance but instead are cheating. In a proper alliance, each player is still trying to win the game. The alliance will break down as soon as one member of the alliance fears the other member is getting too strong to be beaten. If, on the other hand, one member of an alliance is making no effort to win, but instead sacrificing himself/herself so the other member will win, that is clear cheating. This is somewhat off topic, but I think SMG should also consider changing the ranking system so that winning is the only thing that matters. In other words, someone who is last to be eliminated should be treated by the ranking system the same way as the first player eliminated. This would help reduce the phenomenon that happens in a lot of games where a player makes no effort to attack the strongest player and is instead content to try to outlast the other weak players and finish “second.” So, I suggest that the scoring system be adjusted so all non-winning players are treated the same, regardless of how long they lasted. You are either the winner, or you are not.
True my friend but In the Heat of the game ...... unfortunately I play with emotion in the game... It get down to the nitty-gritty and you attack me and piss me off I'm coming at you full force and I'm going to take you out or lose the game.... Don't care who's left on the board but if red comes in and breaks up my content of the critical part of the game when he's my Alliance...... I will remember it and when the time comes and I have enough on Men he is going to go down regardless who's on the board.... PS... Love the game don't really care about ranking..winning/losing... I just play to enjoy and have funit
But I can see... your point guy... I do play a lot with a purple she makes games where is manual placement Progressive which is not a common game in your game... And I'm a guy and purple is a girl so maybe I have been guilty of let us say flirting for lack of a better word... so I can see how me taking it easy on her at times can be construed as cheating... Your comment has been taken under advisement and I will be making the appropriate adjustments although I can't change the way I play with the emotion.... may take a little time and adjustment of controlling my love of Revenge of an alliance who stabs me in the back
Matt- Your talk of playing with ‘emotion’ Seems disingenuous and has nothing to do with what we’re talking about. Cheaters are either one person playing multiple Players or different players coming into a game pre-planned to get rid of anyone else. And even more insidious aspect of this game are usually masters or grandmasters who know how to freeze the game and hack into it so that when they are losing they are able to cancel the game out for everyone. That my friend is cheating and if you’re doing that,you would be a cheater
Well do of none of that.....wprked hard to get to intimidate only to busted down to novice...and u must know it's hard to win.....if the cards don't get u...the dice will....one game I'm a intimidate next morning in a novice....only thing I did was be betrayed by my Alliance red and bypassed purple on all out blitz.....oh and after removing red i crushed purple with turn in and won game....im assuming red was sore loser and complaned.....i just wanted my day on court....i was never asked about it and to beat all....purple who is a stunning lady got the same punishment (I looked at her record...beginner down to novice)and i dont know her...just look at profile pic...and u too would be easy on her
That reminds me. I have 2 sets of players to report. I still won the games though haha.

Risk does have some form of luck involved. If you get screwed by having the last position and you don't get cards, kiss yourself goodbye. The only way to win at the last position is to not die and hope others kill each other. Easy when there's beginners because everyone is killing each other over Australia. But once you're playing masters, the game is extremely defensive and everyone is just waiting to kill you in one sweep. One of the games I was in, one idiot decided to skip a card so he'd become last. But he was in the number 3 slot. What happened? number 4 and number 5 also deferred. That left me in the number one slot to trade first of course and on my next turn I had cards again. All 3 sitting there with 5 cards were destroyed and one other only had 3. The remaining guy was dead meat. Newbies haha.

4 player games are different though. It's more political. You need to generate troops but not appear too strong. And be friends with everyone. Taking cards has less value early in the game so you need to lurk around and wait and hope others will beat each other up. That's not required in 5 and especially 6 player games because the rapid progression of troop gain from cards completely obliterates any benefit to fighting for a continent.

So yeah, I catch people cheating a lot. But that doesn't mean they win. It's usually the unskilled who cheat. And I do not pity them for fueling my victory by not killing each other to become stronger.

Oh in back down to beginner (did win two this morning)...but rank doesn't mean that much to me I just love the game and have been playing it for 30 yrs....i feel bad 4 the lady who won't let me into her games anymore.....and manual/precession games are hard to come across.....think the game should give her back her status and I will just start at bottom and work back up.....and I was expert.....now playing novice and beginners .....im good...wonder how long it will take for complaint about cheating because I'm a expert but have a beginner tag.......at least when I had ranking....they knew I was good and it was up to them to play
Login or Signup to post a comment