Start a new topic

Updates 18 December 2017

Hi developers, 

I really enjoyed playing risk on a daily basis, with friends or alone, but after the update you made a few days ago, we all find your game less fun and challenging, here are the reasons why :

1- you changed the algorithm of the dice, now as one attacks another army, it's 80% sure you will lose at least 1 army, as if the defender dice HAS to be higher than the attacker at least once per turn. I mean guys, i'm sure you've played the board game with real dice, and you'd realised that often the attacker has more chance to win than the defender, it's not always the case, but I mean generally. These are the normal probabilities of dice, 3 against 2 or either 1, you often beat the other army, which is the challenge of attacking: you think you can, but you're never sure. With your new algorithm, the attacker is almost sure to lose at least the same amount troops and even often more than the defender. That's not the real probabilities of real dice and it makes the game less fun to attack and much less surprising.

2- Now it takes 10 seconds to connect into the game and if 1 player doesn't want to click " I'm ready", then he won't play and a CPU will play for it. That's a pain in the ass to start a game to realise that 1 or 2 of the players won't do anything and there is no challenge. I think you put that update so the last one to join an online game will not be forced to play if he hasn't had the time to withdraw from the game before the host has clicked "Start". It starts with a good idea, as I myself have been caught in a game I didn't want to play, but come on guys, you should have put that option before the launch of the game, so the host could still accept another player, it ruins the game to play with a CPU.

that's not important but I also prefer the color before, more vibrant. 

I really hope guys that you find an alternative and quick update to what I found real problems for a game that was better before, I started to play 3 months ago, and now 5 of my friends bought your game and we play it regularly, we all have the same opinions. I know that 6 people might not be much compare to how many players you could have, but I mean 6 out of 6 having the same opinions on your update, that's something I would care about.

Thank you for reading, and I mean no offence, I'm sure you're trying your best to make this game better, but in this case, we thing it didn't work. 

Totally agree. Play daily and now not enjoying it.

Hi Chu

thanks for the detailed topic.

RE #1: While refactoring the code to make it simpler we seem to have exposed a bug like you said. We've submitted a hot fix to both platforms so should be approved soon. (needs to be checked by Apple)

For now if you use manual rolls it'll avoid the Blitz code which was refactored.

RE #2: We added this screen because we didnt want people losing tokens for games that were started then cancelled, this was a major complaint by players (free players mind you). As it's a new screen people might not realise they have to tap "I'm ready" so we hope over the next few days they work it out. 

No offence taken and it's player like you and your friends which keep us pushing to keep making the game better. We've spent a lot of time lately refactoring/rewriting the code so we can expand the game and make it better. But with that we create new bugs :(  Rest assured we're on it and in 2018 you can expect some awesome new features, modes, maps and more.

Please be aware not clicking I'm ready destroys your ranking. Has destroyed what took me over 100 wins to achieve

Regarding the loss of rank points due to not confirming you are ready. We are in looking into a fix as we speak.

- Phillip@SMG

Dang! Another informative post! Is that you again Johann?!

Be honest dude, you've done no work at all on the Dice algo - it's been FUBAR all year... the forum is full of posts stating how tragically flawed it is, especially when using Blitz... the update hasn't changed anything in that regard. You guys are losing money for every day it remains like this, as it invariably turns people away from paying for Premium... and most will just uninstall, never to be seen again!

3 dice versus 2 dice - should give the attacker a clear mathematical advantage of 66% v 34%... but your algo demonstrates virtually the opposite in every game I've played! 

The new screen is very badly thought out - to the extent that it's now ruining the game = https://smgstudio.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/11000017164

So, you're saying awesomeness will be arriving next year - about frikkin time dude!

Why aren't you letting people know what you're planning? 

The best feedback you're gonna get is from the small and merry band right here on this forum - a smart company would engage with it's customers... not keep them in the dark!

What exactly have you got on your "To Do" list - what is the schedule for development... what are you prioritising and why?

Hi developers, 

Firstly thanks for your quick and understanding reply, I really appreciate that you take my opinion and suggestions in a fast and smart way,

Well, let's talk about the CRYING NEED of another update:

1- Dice: Yes you're right and I've noticed that playing without Blitz has the same algorithm as before, which is a good thing. And your advice of playing without Blitz is functional, but honestly guys It can't work in a certain phase of the game: when we're playing with 50 troops to attack 3 countries having 10 troops each and maybe attacking someone else quickly, you can't use the dice without Blitz, which makes the game much less challenging and surprising.

2- "I'm ready" button. Guys, I've played around 10 games since you've launched the update, and ALL OF THEM had players that forgot, missed, misunderstood, didn't check, haven't seen your button. All of the games I've played where uninteresting because there are always bots in them, and it ruins the game. 

I understand why you did that, you want new comers to enjoy the game and not be frustrated because they will spend their 2 tokens that they can have every 6 hours, so they might buy the game. 

But guys, the new function is a pain in the ass for all the people who already bought your game, and you're trying to "help" new comers to enjoy so buy the game by worsening the experience to all the people who have bought your game.

It really doesn't work and I and my friends haven't enjoyed playing the game since your last update. Which means that if it last too long, we might never play this game again, so we won't recommend it to anyone around us. Business wise that's a bad move. 

Ok, so after my opinion, here are my suggestions: 

1- For the dice, just come back to the algorithm you got before until you've found a good new one. It shouldn't take long

2- "I'm ready" button, one of my friend told me you should do the same system as COD II, I've never played that game online, but the system is: host launch the game with all the other players, if one of the guest withdraw from the game, then everybody is aware of it, the timer stops, and the host has the time to wait for other players. 

By no means, we should be forced to play with bots, as we "us" bought the game , and you want to interest "them" to maybe buy it.

I always host my games and never play with "Novice", cause a lot of them haven't really understood the rules and dynamic of Risk, and for the other part it's the first time they try the online game, so first new comers could destroy an interesting game.

So my last 10 games were only with minimum "Beginner" level, some Intermediate, some expert, it ALWAYS happen that I have 1 or 2 bots in the game. So it means: even people who are used to the game don't realise they have to press the "I'm ready" button, so if that's true, then try to imagine how many fist time player don't have a clue of what they have to do.

If you can't change the code of the game quickly, PLEASE, go back to your old system, where every players were included in the game and if they want to withdraw and quit the game, then they will have to lose their 2 tokens, or their rankings, until you found a new system that is acceptable and beneficial for everybody.

Really please, do something soon cause I will loose interest and stop playing your game soon if you don't fix it really soon.

A message from a fan of your game but who might quit playing it soon if the updates is not fixed soon.

Thanks for reading guys.

Login or Signup to post a comment