Start a new topic
Implemented

New Dice Algorithm / True dice rolls

Game does not use true dice roll probabilities. Many, many times I've had 97-99% chance to win and dont.

HOW TO VOTE FOR THIS FEATURE? Tap the 'Do you like this idea?' below

91 people like this idea

Please fix this it makes the game very unenjoyable. For every one person that complains on this board there's probably a few hundred that feel the same way but don't bother posting.

1 person likes this
Yes grandmasters have their rolls skewed away from 1's but it isn't an advantage because everyone else's rolls work that way as well.

1 person likes this

Do you play Powerball?  Nah I don't, either, I figure the odds are so stacked against me that it's a poor investment.  Why, in fact, I recently read a Time article that they are 1 in 292 million, That's what I thought, it just can't possibly happen, no one could win with those odds.  ;}

I'm disappointed that some of us have taken an opportunity to flame at the developers about all kinds of things unrelated to dice throw.  Somewhere I recall hearing they were working on new algorithms.  So why are they getting beat on after they've already agreed?

My extended family and I love the game.  We play weekly from 3 locations around the country with a phone conference on the side.  Keep up the good work developers!  I like what you have done with a game I loved back in highschool.  And all that for free.  Thank you.

1 person likes this
Posted by Ash over at their official Facebook page: "When we first implemented the code we used random on each individual die. The problem was you got a lot of extreme cases with this. So now we use a probability matrix. There's still edge cases but it's MUCH less than what happens if each dice roll is totally random." Well, now THAT explains it... SMG is NOT using a true RNG, but rather a "probability matrix" (i.e. the dice are rigged, plain and simple). Extreme cases or not, EACH and EVERY single die roll should be rolled as RANDOM, as this is how it would be with REAL-WORLD dice (and apparently, how it is coded in all of the other Risk and Risk-like games that I play... i.e. NO questionable dice rolls).

1 person likes this
I have a fairly new account. Maybe a couple of weeks old. It is Expert / Master level, depending on my current streak. The dice are clearly biased, because I have played 400+ games now and I have 13% of 1s rolled. No way can this happen after such a huge sample size. I just don't understand how it is so difficult to implement smth. this basic and simple ;/

The dice are clearly biased to roll higher than 1.

1 person likes this
This thread started back before the update that changed dice. You can see all the people that demanded change and as I recall some were happy with it. I don't think the dice are good now. But I think that no matter what SMG does there will always be people insisting on change. That is why it is important for them to get it right so that they can stand behind their algorithm.
A lot of complaining came as soon as they made a "new algorithm." People were complaining prior to that too. People are always going to complain because they don't realize that odds are not going to be consistent. It is possible for an army of 23 to lose against an army of 3. They want to complain unfair as soon as they get that one bad roll. All I know is when they first updated it, I was getting a lot of triple 1 rolls. They fixed that at least.

In any video game, if the settings are set to "Expert," (or difficult, or All-Madden, or Superhuman...you get it) shouldn't you expect more outliers to show up? Does the dice rolling algorithm vary according to your settings? In games created/hosted by individuals (i.e., all multiplayer games), settings are chosen. The board upon which you will play, how many seconds a turn may last, and the difficulty level are all options to choose in the settings. It's a video game about a board game, folks. Expect some video game rules to apply. It would be nice if the difficulty settings were visible for folks choosing to join the game, like the other settings are (120 min., fixed/progressive cards). If this were not the case, there would be zero reason for the difficulty level to be a choice. I think I may have answered all of your questions here.
Factor in your order of play which again has a big outcome in the game then dice rolls are hugely important that they reflect a ..........ohh fu#k it what am I talking about !!!!!!the game is so flawed in so many areas to make skill an options a joke, I'm already bored with it.....sadly I spent my dough on the premier version........my mistake.

Dudes, the most important question is this... 

Does anybody think SMG (Shockingly Mediocre Games!) gives a damn, and will try to fix the problems?

SMG can't even be bothered to reply to posters here ffs!

(Yet they have plenty of time to post nonsense on their facebook/twitter feed lol!)

All we can do is hope Hasbro dumps these losers, and gives the game to a professional company who know what they are doing... Amen!

If you think there were "many times" you had a "97-99% chance to win" you don't understand probabilities.

Aitch, I personally think SMG are doing a great job, over all the app is great (better than many out there) it just needs a little refinement but that's the way it goes in development, debugging takes most of the time, and everything can be improved. Furthermore, many "feature" requests are subjective at best and not every idea should be listened to, because it can break other things, etc. And in my experience they respond in a timely manner.

Wow, man you have no business on this forum being so negative. If you don't like the game, don't play it. Simple. I've seen nothing but positive comments here in the forums (until yours) and people usually make good points.

Why should they be responding to the forums anyways? If you have a bug or feature request, put in a ticket. The forums are for discussions and has little to do with reporting to SMG, getting feedback, or etc. I'm just going to chalk your comment up to to you not knowing how the website works. For future reference, again if you have a gripe, issue or bug to report, submit a ticket. Don't be a dick.

Yes the complaints will never stop but if SMG had a solid algorithm they could stand behind it. I don't get why they changed it to begin with and why they didn't test the (at the time) new algorithm more thoroughly before pulling the trigger. Every time they have to change it their credibility goes down, least until they can show they have it right. But since some people will always complain vocally even if there is nothing wrong it will be a long time before they can live this down. They need to act to fix the issue as soon as they can but must be careful not to act so quickly that they mess up again. So why not use the PRNG for each die at least until they can get a more accurate matrix?
David, can you provide your data on these bad rolls?

Complaining or not, the current "probability matrix" is screwed. The dice need to be RANDOM, roll for roll. And, more proof that it is screwed, a copy 'n' paste of mine from earlier in this thread, along with a newer screenshot: It is statistically impossible to loose more troops than you have killed when your total win-to-loss ratio is 2:1 (or greater). THAT IS, unless that you are rolling more 1's (or other low numbers) than any other number. I have seen this on two different devices, as well as a buddy of mine (who's win-to-loss ratio is **WAY** higher than 2:1) telling me that it is EXACTLY the same on his. *NONE* of the other DOS/Windows/Android Risk and Risk-like games that I play (that can display these types of stats) exhibit this behavior. And, like I've posted before, EVEN DOS Risk, circa 1989... yeah, folks, even back in 1989 under DOS they got the PRNG right.
Login or Signup to post a comment